Lamping session

kip270

Yesterday we had the local Hunt up the farm, so with them pushing the woods, i thought that tonight would be the ideal time for some lamping, plus i have been working nights all week and today was a day off :blink:

I picked Dan(my son) up at 7.30 and we were up the farm by 8pm, there was a slight north westerly wind, which had a bit of a chill to it. Dan was going to be the rifleman with the .222 while i had the lamp and .22rim incase we came across any bunnies.

The first field we spotted a few rabbits but they were out of range for the .22rim (knew i should of taken the .17hmr), so we headed off in pursuit of them, but the wind direction wasn't right and they ran off before we could within range. Then i scanned around and there was a fox, at around 150 yards, just sat there looking at us, i gave dan my varmint sticks, and he set up, but wasn't happy to take the shot off the sticks, so i gave him the bi-pod. He got down and got ready for the shot, the fox then had enough and made off to our left, i shouted "Oi" the fox stopped to see what the noise was, a nice broadside shot, dan took the shot and we heard the bullet strike but the fox ran off to the left. Dan reloaded and was following the fox, i shouted again and the fox stopped, dan's second shot dropped it on the spot.

When we got to the fox (a dog), we noticed that dan's first shot was a bit far back, but his second shot was spot on. It looked as if he may of pulled the shot, which can happen to the best of us, but i was glad he managed to get the second shot off and drop him.

I looked at my watch and it was 8.20pm :P:lol: we could of called it a night after only 20 mins, but where's the fun in that.

That was the only fox we saw, we did try a bit of calling but nothing showed.

DSC00012.jpg

Yesterday we had the local Hunt up the farm, so with them pushing the woods, i thought that tonight would be the ideal time for some lamping, plus i have been working nights all week and today was a day off :blink:

I picked Dan(my son) up at 7.30 and we were up the farm by 8pm, there was a slight north westerly wind, which had a bit of a chill to it. Dan was going to be the rifleman with the .222 while i had the lamp and .22rim incase we came across any bunnies.

That was the only fox we saw, we did try a bit of calling but nothing showed.

Well done Kip, & nice shooting Dan. :P

PS I think I've finally sust the posting of the pic's thing, thanks to yours & reloaderdan' help

Cheers Steve

Good going Kip, how are the squirrels looking in your part of the world ;);)

Cheers

Dave

Strange you should ask that, i was only out yesterday a/noon after some squirrels, but failed to see any :o;) A early morning sorty is on the cards

Archived