I need a Fox load for 6.5x55

njc110381

I dropped in to my local egg supplier today and was having a long chat with him. I've not been in for some time as work hasn't taken me that way much. It turns out they have a major Fox problem, and often see three or four at the same time wandering about! They have several thousand free range hens, and are getting dozens a week taken at the moment.

I was planning on using the same load for Fox and Deer in my 6.5, but I think this calls for something more flat shooting because I'll be shooting at night (distance will be harder to judge).

Do any of you know what bullet heads are available in the light weight range? Maybe 70-100 grain and very explosive? I'm thinking something like the V-Max, but I've not read into this at all because up until now I've not needed to. Some words of experience would be really great! :o

I would stick to one load for Deer/Fox, then you know you are zeroed no matter what quarry your after, taking foxes over 200 yards at night is a fair range, and if zeroed at 100 yards the drop is not going to be much at 200(make up a drop chart)

Get yourself a Laser Rangefinder, get out on the ground in the daytime, do a reccy and make notes of the furthest points, something that you will know when out lamping.

I have done this on my ground, as it's easier if you know the range before hand :o

Guest varmartin

A fox shot with your deer load will not like it up him very much...but if you want a flatter shooting load.....

The 95 Vmax should do the trick, what powder do you have on hand and I will run the numbers on Quick load...but 3150fps should be obtainable but may be a hot load... and that will stop old Charley.

Martin

Hi,I use 100gr Sierra varminter HP for fox,beaver and winged vermin.Lapua cases,Fed 210 primer,44grs N150,COL 74mm.Accuracy is excellent.This load is safe in MY rifle.I know alot of people prefer the 85gr,I havent tried them yet,the 100 grainer does what I need it to :o -Toby

At the moment all I have is H-Varget. I'm happy to buy something else though if I need to? I've not done a great deal with my 6.5x55 yet, so I don't know the trajectory well. with 129grn SSTs what could I expect the drop to be at 200 yards (100 zero)? I know a Deer bullet will kill a Fox, but I'd like something that really messes the insides up and comes out in small fragments if possible? I know all rounds need a back stop, but I like the idea of Varmint rounds breaking up. It's got to be an added bit of safety if the same rules are followed?

njc,

The light varmint rounds do not break up as you think, they will do as much damage as possible but still go through as a solid item.

Back stop is paramount, and it won't make a difference to the fox, put the bullet in the right spot and it's dead.

I use 130 grain Nosler BT in my .270, and nothing i shoot likes them :o

Guest varmartin
At the moment all I have is H-Varget. I'm happy to buy something else though if I need to? I've not done a great deal with my 6.5x55 yet, so I don't know the trajectory well. with 129grn SSTs what could I expect the drop to be at 200 yards (100 zero)? I know a Deer bullet will kill a Fox, but I'd like something that really messes the insides up and comes out in small fragments if possible? I know all rounds need a back stop, but I like the idea of Varmint rounds breaking up. It's got to be an added bit of safety if the same rules are followed?

With Varget you should be able to produce 2700fps with a stout load...

So I ran the figures through Exbal ( ball park ) as need more info for exact drop chart...

@200 yards you will need to come up 1.50 MOA / or in inches a drop of approx 3.3 inches.

@300 yards......................................4.00 MOA..............................................12.7 inches

Martin

I've now ordered some of those 85grn jobbies mentioned above. I can't find and Hornady SST anywhere, so as the Deer season is coming to an end I'll have a go at getting a good Fox load for now :unsure:

Archived