Winchester super magnum rimfire

hi all ,any one have any idea when this new almost hornet sized rimfire will be over here,what are your thoughts.

do you think it will be overly expensive,could it lead to a 22 or 20 cal.

as 22 wmr holder ive always wanted a true 150 yard rimfire with 50 grains of lead in the air,. for me on fox as much lead in the air as possible is best.

Sucks, doesn't it? We already have the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum which is about the same case. It pushes a 30 grain HP at 2557 fps. I ordered a Savage 17WSRM to pull apart and rebarrel to 5mm. I'm currently shooting original Remington rifles and most recently, a Thompson Center Carbine. Excellent round.~Andrew

you do (US) but we don't for some reason (UK)

the 5mm RMM is a much better cartridge than the .17WSMR

sure they only brought it out as the HMR has so many issues with ammunition quality

guaranteed to be more expensive to feed and only available in a small selection of factory options

there would be a market in the uk for a magnum 22rf that would work well in a semi ?

imagine wmr plus performance in a semi auto black gun that was reliable and accurate say a 50g bullet at 2500? just think of the competition possibilitys !

hi all ,any one have any idea when this new almost hornet sized rimfire will be over here,what are your thoughts.

do you think it will be overly expensive,could it lead to a 22 or 20 cal.

as 22 wmr holder ive always wanted a true 150 yard rimfire with 50 grains of lead in the air,. for me on fox as much lead in the air as possible is best.

The issue is the pressure as a rim fire case can only hold so much, that's why we turned to the CF cartridge with its separate primer. What your looking at is basically a readily available factory .22 Hornet centre fire round which presently generates 2550- 2650 fps with a 45grn bullet or 3050 with a lighter 35 grn. Downside is cost of ammo around £20 per 25, however hand loads can increase that 45 grn up to 2800-2900 fps and are the cost equivalent to produce as .17 HMR ammo. Unless things change radically I doubt we will see this round in the UK anytime soon and it will be an expensive option at that requiring a new design of rim fire rifle over the usual suspects just to handle the pressure.

Sucks, doesn't it? We already have the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum which is about the same case. It pushes a 30 grain HP at 2557 fps. I ordered a Savage 17WSRM to pull apart and rebarrel to 5mm. I'm currently shooting original Remington rifles and most recently, a Thompson Center Carbine. Excellent round.~Andrew

Hi Andrew,

we don't get the 5mmRem over here-never did.

What ammo can you get-the only listed I can find are Aguila/Centurion 30g at 2300 fps?

gbal

there would be a market in the uk for a magnum 22rf that would work well in a semi ?

imagine wmr plus performance in a semi auto black gun that was reliable and accurate say a 50g bullet at 2500? just think of the competition possibilitys ![/quote

Maybe-a few issues though

As Kent suggests,is it possible?

Would ammo costs be too high?

Any semi auto has to be 22rf,not going to change anytime soon.

The 22 wrf mag didn't sell very well as a semi (H&K,BRNO).

The R 5mm is virtually unknown here

Competitions?22rf works well enough to

say 100 yards,as a black rifle copy,

and beyond that you get size of range issues

Probably no varminting niche that isn't already filled -eg hornet derivatives.

Still,the new 17s saw some interest,and some problems...so who knows?!

gbal

Hi Andrew,

we don't get the 5mmRem over here-never did.

What ammo can you get-the only listed I can find are Aguila/Centurion 30g at 2300 fps?

gbal

Tha actual factory spec is 2370 fps but I have shot thousands of rounds of this 5mm and that is conservative, to say the least. The 30 grain Varmint load in 75 degree weather registers as above: 2557 fps from my T/C, 2548 from my Remingtom rifle. The lead tipped HP is slower, in the 2480 fps class. Centurion's engineer says it is for controlled bullet expansion. The "Varmint" load is a typical jacketed HP and very explosive. It will open up a prairiedog or rabbit at 150 yards.

The Centurion load (made by Aguila) operated at 31K psi like the 17 Winchester will do, and that requires a stout rifle. The original 5mm ran at 36K which meant that the SAAMI proof loads were in the 42K class. This rewuired a stout rifle and untimately, killed the original Remington round as they didn't have the metalurgy down and blown rims were trashing shooters, Centurion put a lot of R&D into the case and this has not been a problem. A friend of mine has converted a CZ 453 to 5mm and it is very accurate. I like my single shot TC but I pine for a good bolt action.~Andrew

Tha actual factory spec is 2370 fps but I have shot thousands of rounds of this 5mm and that is conservative, to say the least. The 30 grain Varmint load in 75 degree weather registers as above: 2557 fps from my T/C, 2548 from my Remingtom rifle. The lead tipped HP is slower, in the 2480 fps class. Centurion's engineer says it is for controlled bullet expansion. The "Varmint" load is a typical jacketed HP and very explosive. It will open up a prairiedog or rabbit at 150 yards.

The Centurion load (made by Aguila) operated at 31K psi like the 17 Winchester will do, and that requires a stout rifle. The original 5mm ran at 36K which meant that the SAAMI proof loads were in the 42K class. This rewuired a stout rifle and untimately, killed the original Remington round as they didn't have the metalurgy down and blown rims were trashing shooters, Centurion put a lot of R&D into the case and this has not been a problem. A friend of mine has converted a CZ 453 to 5mm and it is very accurate. I like my single shot TC but I pine for a good bolt action.~Andrew

Tha

actual factory spec is 2370 fps but I have shot thousands of rounds of this 5mm and that is conservative, to say the least. The 30 grain Varmint load in 75 degree weather registers as above: 2557 fps from my T/C, 2548 from my Remingtom rifle. The lead tipped HP is slower, in the 2480 fps class. Centurion's engineer says it is for controlled bullet expansion. The "Varmint" load is a typical jacketed HP and very explosive. It will open up a prairiedog or rabbit at 150 yards.

Thanks Andrew,

It now looks like it was just as well I never got a 5 back in the day! The 17 rem was in a different class anyhow!

gbal

Tha

actual factory spec is 2370 fps but I have shot thousands of rounds of this 5mm and that is conservative, to say the least. The 30 grain Varmint load in 75 degree weather registers as above: 2557 fps from my T/C, 2548 from my Remingtom rifle. The lead tipped HP is slower, in the 2480 fps class. Centurion's engineer says it is for controlled bullet expansion. The "Varmint" load is a typical jacketed HP and very explosive. It will open up a prairiedog or rabbit at 150 yards.

Thanks Andrew,

It now looks like it was just as well I never got a 5 back in the day! The 17 rem was in a different class anyhow!

gbal

Thanks Andrew,

gbal

I wanted one in the worst way when I was a teenager. I ended up getting a center fire conversion of the 5mm back in 2002, and when the 5mm Mag RF came back, I got to relive a little of my youth! Something off of my bucket list, at least.~Andrew

Archived