need advice on loads

irish hunter

Hi i recently fitted a new barrel to my ftr rifle, i have been told to try out some loads, using varget powder, the loads i have been told to make up are 46.5 gr to 47.9 gr going up in 2 gr incriments, can anybody tell me what would the required distance to try these out, would 100 yards be adequate or would i have to go out to 300 ?, I am fairly new to this so any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance.

I'd try them at 100 initially, then maybe out a bit further as you refine the load, but basically if it doesn't shoot at 100 it won't shoot at 300! Also at 300 your external forces ie weather play a much greater role.

Mike

I'd try them at 100 initially, then maybe out a bit further as you refine the load, but basically if it doesn't shoot at 100 it won't shoot at 300! Also at 300 your external forces ie weather play a much greater role.

Mike

[/qu

As Mike says,develop load at 100 for convenience,check the promising ones at 300,but do not expect 300 groups to be just 3x 100 ones,as many other factors start to take effect noticeably (x5 would be good).Ultimately check at the distance you want to shoot.

Try to avoid wind on days when you are testing loads.Balistic tables are a guide,treat as such.

gbal

thanks ike and gbal , i will try all @ 100 and see how they go , then try the better ones x 5 on a calm day @ 300 , hopefully they will be the ones to go out to 1000. Thanks again.

thanks ike and gbal , i will try all @ 100 and see how they go , then try the better ones x 5 on a calm day @ 300 , hopefully they will be the ones to go out to 1000. Thanks again.

I really meant your 300 y groups might be more than three times the size of your 100y groups-five times the size would be more like it,but it's a good idea to shoot some 5 shot groups too,as it does give a better idea of the rifles precision,with your good load,though you can get away with just 3 shots esp if the three are really close...good luck!

gbal

Its hard to pick good loads apart at 100yds also a tight group at 100 can easy turn to rubbish at 300 and an average one can hold onto it ( sometimes improve? though I am a sceptic on the why bit). Look for pressure and what the chrono tells you at 100 and sort out the total rubbish. For a good load you need to get out a good way further with the amount of varget your sticking in I assume its quite a powerful cartridge (upwards of a .308 class) so I suggest 300 as a min to sort the wheat from the chaff. 100 yds is a good place to test rim fire ammo and I put forwards the only reason people use such a short distance for cf is that's all they have easily available

Thanks Kent, yes it is 308 bartlein barrel 1 in 12 twist 32 inches long, i might wait for a calm day and go to the 300 altogether

IH

If you have it easily available use it, once you have a good bullet and good brass etc. I personally find it hard to separate things as regards accuracy, pressure limits, muzzle speed and SD ? well you could shoot at 50yds and find that out

Thanks to kent and gbal, quick update, went out yesterday and tried the loads @ 300 yards, couldn't believe the difference a few gr could make , i believe i have found the sweet spot , its somewhere between 46.9 and 47.1, have to make these up during the week and go back to the range , i was getting all shots within 1.25 inches @ 300 yards. Chrone figures look good too.Thanks again.

Hillhunter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived