Design details of small range on a farm

shotgun sam

A few more details would probably help - what sort of distance, targets and calibers do you intend using?

Plus a lot depends on the terrain your dealing with.

Here is a 100 yard ' farm range' I built for the BDS SW to use for their range days:

range2007.jpg

Just a good 10m long and 2.5m high steep earth bank, with post and rails for the paper targets.

The longer range steel plate setup I'm currently building is different again, with railway sleepers and sandbags making 'bunkers' for the targets to be housed in.

Plenty of options really, although if you want to make it an 'offical target range' at any time in the future, it is worth reading the various MOD published documents on range design and speaking to Frank Compton.

What do you mean by "small" I built a 50 yds range at the back complete with constructed backstop, I am yet to construct a proper bench on it. off the side of the drive I can shoot to around 1200 yards but I rely on natural features for stopping the bullets all I did was extend the drive another 20ft or so were I shoot from, over time I plan to build a small shelter at the firing point were I can also watch baits put out for fox and crow

A few more details would probably help - what sort of distance, targets and calibers do you intend using?

Plus a lot depends on the terrain your dealing with.

Here is a 100 yard ' farm range' I built for the BDS SW to use for their range days:

range2007.jpg

Just a good 10m long and 2.5m high steep earth bank, with post and rails for the paper targets.

The longer range steel plate setup I'm currently building is different again, with railway sleepers and sandbags making 'bunkers' for the targets to be housed in.

Plenty of options really, although if you want to make it an 'offical target range' at any time in the future, it is worth reading the various MOD published documents on range design and speaking to Frank Compton.

that clear fell bank has potential!

Tiff, are you using that hill for reduced RDA as per pam or have you used an educated guess for the RDA?

Neither really, since it's not a 'range'....It runs the same as Catton Park etc. However, if I can get the paperwork sorted in the next few weeks it could/will pass certification on a RDA template.

A friend of mine many years ago fastened four pallets together then filled the middle with compacted soil. It had a safe backstop and was 100 yds from his landing window.

300 win mag with muzzle break is not recommended though. :lol:

Archived