GOT HIM IN THE END

nemasis243

Have had a fox on one piece of ground that I can never seem to get a shot at,I think he has moved in as all the others on that land have been moved on if you know what I mean :D

I have tried different filters but for some reason he just wont look at the light and stay still.

I have got night vision kit but at the mo a mate is borrowing it as he has a few charlies that are doing the same, night vision would be the easy way but I have had so much fun trying to get this bugger that it has become something of a challange.

As this sheep farmer is very tidy there are never any dead ones laying around so I had to make my own cocktail for him.

8tins of the cheapest cat food 4 tins of sardines and a dead vixon I shot the other nite and I must say she was humming,

I placed the vixon in a large plastic fish box then on top of that another one with the food in and cable tied the handle together , then I drove to spike through the handles into the ground so it couldnt be tipped over,

I put the boxes out in a good spot so I could get a safe shot from about 150yds away,the first night I coverd the top box with chicken wire and sure enough the next day the wire was ripped off and he had licked the box clean. :lol:

So I new he liked the flavour so did the same last night about 10 oclock,

I didnt have to wait long before I could see charlie comming across the field through my night vision monocle,his nose every 20 yrds having a quick sniff and then taking a few more steps,He got to the box and straight in , right give him a minute and put the red filter on him and hope he keeps his head down long enough to get a shot.

Lamp on and Charlies out of the box trotting dwn the field ,watching him through the scope and under my breath saying stop you b*****d, :)

He got to the bottom hedge and was just going to through a rabbit bolted to his left and for a few seconds he was in the wrong place at the right time, :)

I sqeezed off and got in straight through the head at about 220yds,I would have gone for a body shot but he was in a bit of a furrow and the head was all I could really see.

So after time after time I finally got the bugger,but that will be one of those you remember for a long while :lol:

Hope you enjoyed the read and the pics cheers lads :lol:06022008033.jpg06022008034.jpg

nice one there mate, the old catfood trick works wonders, what type of night vision do you have , i have been looking at a few but cant make my mind up , thinking of going for an archer .ds2

nice one there mate, the old catfood trick works wonders, what type of night vision do you have , i have been looking at a few but cant make my mind up , thinking of going for an archer .ds2

I use a Kite they are very good :) ,I have some very good reports on the archer and the other benifit is you have more magnification,the kite is only 4X but there is a maxi kite which has a 6x mag,

The other thing with this type of night vision is that it tends to tie up a rifle and it has to be kept for that as you need to have a very very high comb to see through the lens,a good friend of mine 6MMBR has a kite on his AR 223 and I think his is on QD mounts,he also has a scope to put on it which is also zeroed

to the rifle so he can chop and change as it suits.

No good quality night gear is cheap,you pay for what you get, but they do have their place.

Me I like the lamp cuz its great having a couple of you going out and seeing whats going on :)

Wicked shooting dude, it's satisfying when it all comes together !!!! :) Regarding the night vision DS2, I've got a top end Archer system which is brilliant, i can wind the mag right up to 22x on the Night force, still getting crystal clear sight picture. The main probelm i had at first was judging the range, but you soon get used to it, if ever your in my part of the world, send me a PM and you can have a butchers, Heard some good reports about the NV 14 system, seen through them but not really used it !! Like Nemisis says the kite or maxi kite are very good, but i always needed a bit more magnification , like feel like i can reach out and touch them :)

Cheers Steve

Nice result i bet the old heart was racing like a bloody train when it was going away,you got him in the end though and no doubt you will remember that one

Archived