6.5/55 swedish

onehole

Onehole here on the scrounge???I can usually work things out for myself but have recently strayed away from my comfort zone of ppc,s and 6br,s and have recently aquired a 6.5/55 swedish RPA with a 30in 1/8.5 kreiger.I am sure there are one or two of you out there that may have some loads that have worked really well in such a set up but to narrow it down I am really only interested in what works in the long barrel!!not a shorter barreled hunting format.

I have only dabbled in loads at the moment but to put you in the picture I am getting 3100 with 123 scenars with 47.5 of 160 [no probs yet with presure signs]and this is going into 3/4 inch my best so far at 200.Possibly on the right track already but did not have time to do 300/400 today as the scope setting up took me nearly an hour!!!

A PES mod is fitted and only a single mount fitting on the front 17/1 barrel threading ie not an over barrel design.I have a suspicion that the mod is throwing unburnt/burnt powder back into the bore as things look very sooty up that end of the bore and at the crown area???Any thoughts anybody would be very interested in some comments.

As I said I am out of my comfort zone big time but you can get as technical as you want I should be able to keep up with you.

Also no offence to its previous owner who has given me good advice and a very accomplished shot he is too! but I seek any input I can get>Thanks Onehole.

Guest northernchris

Dont think you will find many on here running 6.5x55 with a 30" barrel :)

In my Sauer (short barrel) i run

120gr Nosler BT or 123gr Scenar

44.8gr N160

Lapua Brass

CCI 250BR primers

A very modest load BUT a very accurate load doing 2640 fps for the 120gr BT and 2608 fps for the 123gr Scenar.

Just playing with the 139gr Scenar in front of 45.6gr of N160 these are doing 2615 fps.

Both loads could be far faster BUT the all the 6.5 x 55's i have owned didnt like being pushed REALLY hard.If you went to N560 (double based powder) you would gain abit more but at the expense of barrel wear.

I had the 123 gr Scenars going well over 3000 fps and the 139gr Scenars just on 3000 fps but neither came close to the accuracy of the modest loads.

Just my take on the job. :)

Guest northernchris

In my mind double based powders burn hotter than single based powders i,e N560 vs N160,you will normally gain 5%-10% more speed by going from say N160 to N560 in the 6.5 Swede but the trade off would be in working the throat that bit harder than running the slightly cooler burning powder.The 500 series Vit powders are seen as "High Intestity".

Take 2 cases loaded the same weight for weight 1 with N560 and the other with N160 ,the round useing N560 would produce a higher velocity,as ever you dont get owt for nowt in this game,in this case a hotter burn which to me will work the throat area harder.Thats the way i see it,i maybe wrong mind :)

The Vit site says that the double based powders are hotter yet my version of Quickload suggests that in 20BR if anything single based powders give the same if not very slightly higher velocities. As such I can see no upside and plenty of throat wear downside using N5 series instead of N1 series powders.

A

Archived