RCBS chargemaster 1500 combo - help needed

Christian

Hi,

I've had an RBCS charge master 1500 combo for a few years (warranty has expired), and it has recently started throwing loads inconsistently. +/- 1 grains observed.

Based on googled solutions I'm using a power conditioner kind of thing, there are no fluorescent lights in the room and I also switch it on about an hour before using it.

RCBS customer service recommended using an antistatic cloth, which I've ordered.

Do you guys have any thoughts on other things I could do to get the machine working consistently again?

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Christian

Are you using a powder with large kernels.... that often causes problems with them clumping.

I saw an article which said to use a Macdonalds straw section in the outlet tube to help seperate the kernels.

Could also get an anti-static spray from Amazon.

Make sure its set up with all feet leveled.

Check that no powder has gotten under the plastic dish where the pan goes.

To smooth out the powder throw at trickle stage, cut up some drinking straws (the larger diameter like McDonalds) and insert into the tube. You may need to nest several lengths of straw to get the correct thickness and fit. Doing this will allow it to drop one kernel at a time just about when trickling up.

Hi Christian

I also have a Charge master sometimes if I fill the powder to all the why it's starts to pay a bit but normally only .1 .2 .3 if I Only fill 1/4 way up it stops this problem and Then it's spot on.

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for your input.

The problem is not dispensing, but the scale itself. Even after following your input and that of RCBS, the scale is still all over the place. It shows varying readings of both powder pan and calibration weights.

I will just have to throw low and weigh the final load on my beam scale.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards,

Christian

Hi Foxshooter,

I'm using the power source provided by RCBS.

I'll see if this is the piece that has started causing the problems. Should be fairly straightforward to test.

Thanks,

Christian

Christian,

if you've used it a lot as your question imples, it's very likely that powder kernels have fallen into the device's innards. Get any on the load-cell bar and trapped there below the base of the plastic platen stem, and the scale will NOT work properly, running around 1gn adrift and acting up very variably. Been there, done that!

Your scale is out of warranty, so you can carefully split the casing and inspect / clean any such contamination off using a small very soft-haired brush applied very lightly. For those of us still in warranty, doing this voids it. An alternative method that might work without opening the machine up could be a can of compressed air and thin applicator tube.

I'd also advise people not to use the 1500 ChargeMaster with very small-grained ball powders for this reason - they WILL run out of the drop tube onto the scale-top and get EVERYWHERE as only a slight knock or vibration on the device or worktop likely sees some powder run out of the tube and when those little balls land and bounce, they get into every nook and cranny. I had this when trying some of Henry Krank's newly imported Ramshot Big Game and Wild Boar powders the other week. They're very impressive and show great promise, but I'll go back to a mechanical measure for future load tests with them.

Laurie, fantastic! Thank you very much!

Your suggestion did the trick immediately and the unit is back to it's good old self (0.1 grain consistency) and showing the correct weight for the powder pan.

Again, thanks a lot for your help, very much appreciated.

In case anyone should be interested or have the same problem in the future, I've provided two pictures of the open unit.

Powder had gotten stuck under the pan arm. It was not a lot, just a few fragments of a kernel that I brushed off with a paintbrush.

Unit when first opened.

ef59650f-f249-44f0-9296-983e08841227_zps

Unit with the pan arm removed

IMG_3355_zps1456a9c1.jpg

Regards,

Christian

Archived