West Mids FAC unit

maxxis35

I have my ticket away at the West Mids at the moment getting a variation, i have been hearing stories of them taking some time to process, can anybody confirm this, or are any of you in the same boat.

I have put variation in and it took over a month and half. Same story all over the Uk mate.

Under the West Mids, iv'e had my ticket back in less than 10 working days, can't even get to talk to them now, you get an automated service.

A month would be very fast around me! Mine has been away a month already and they've decided to come and see me which isn't for another 2 weeks. Then on average another 10-16 weeks for it to come back(usually wrong in which case add another month for it to be put right).

My last variation, 14 minutes, in and out, with an apology for it 'taking so long as they had a phone call to deal with too' , that was a 1 for 1 on .308, adding a .260, adding a .223,.22 barrel, and sound mods, and upping my ammo holdings.

Gotta love being in Wiltshire, I'm looking for a new place as landlady wants house back, seen a really nice place in hants, nah' I'll hold off for a place in wilts ta ;)

Pete

Hi,

It's all a bit of a lottery depending on where you live. Surrey have gone from zero to hero as a result of change in management and process renewals and variations swiftly. As stated previously, Sussex have a substantial backlog and also have some strange policies and interpretations of the law. Hants also have a backlog, admit to having so and are making efforts to catch up.

The Met have a backlog which has been made worse by relocating their offices and employing new inexperienced staff. On top of this they seem to lose paperwork on a regular basis (and admit to doing so) including complete firearms files. A while back Warwickshire expressed surprise that I would want to email them and claimed that they did not have a departmental email address. One of our UKV guys came up with the managers 'private' email address.

When I try and explain the UK licensing system to a friend of mine who is a senior licensing official in Germany he shakes his head in disbelief, I wonder why? I believe that the only force running accredited training for firearms licensing personnel is Dorset. Very few forces send staff on these courses as they claim it is too expensive. The majority of forces rely on in-house training that perpetuates ingrained attitudes and practices,

Alan

I have had a variation back by return post from Lancs police but never more than two weeks. If your not a member of BASC I would join. Then with them for backup if needed complain to the chief constable you are well within your rights. I have in the past. We are all entitled to a prompt and efficient service. If every one of us complained to the chief constable about poor service then maybe more licencing departments would take note and sort it out. At the end of the day for most of us it is a right not a privilege to own firearms.

Archived