Lapua .308 Palma brass, which primers?

Davy

I have quite a few hundred .308 Palma brass left over from a project so I am going to load some up for the Vikings M65A. I was going to use the trusted CCI BR small rifle primers with some N540 however I have been thinking about using magnum primers instead, has anyone tried them with the Palma brass?

Bullets will probably be fine pointed Berger 155's

Hi D

Not yet but if the Americans are to believed then the small primer is "iffy" in really cold weather".

The Magnum I reckon the will help add a spark buffer to counter any cold weather reductions and specifically N540 being a double base powder the extra flame could be handy to ensure consistent ignition!

Did the primer photo exercise you did last year include some small magnum versus std - or should we not extrapolate anything from that!?

Standard reloading convention is to drop a full 1.0 grain of the charge used with a standard primer and redevelop the load.

This is to compensate for a higher initial pressure that the magnum powder may provide.

As this is an S Class rifle shot mostly around the 600 yard mark I am more interested in tightening the groups than stoking it up to the 'n'th degree. The primer tests we ran did not include magnum primers so I will order some in and start testing.

Archived