Scope for Steyr AUG, CSR use

maxxis35

I have 2 scopes that i like and they are quite different from each other, so i'd like some feedback on what would go best on the love em or loath them rifle, it will be used for CSR comps, only doing them for enjoyment as i'm no trophy hunter, which would be best.

BUSHNELL ELITE TACTICAL 2.5-21X50 34MM TUBE

IOR SPARTAN TACTICAL 3-12X36 35MM TUBE

I have 2 scopes that i like and they are quite different from each other, so i'd like some feedback on what would go best on the love em or loath them rifle, it will be used for CSR comps, only doing them for enjoyment as i'm no trophy hunter, which would be best.

BUSHNELL ELITE TACTICAL 2.5-21X50 34MM TUBE

IOR SPARTAN TACTICAL 3-12X36 35MM TUBE

Choice of mag and reticule seem to be very personal/individual.Other than the outlandish (March 80x on a 22rf,or 4x on a 1000y rifle) it's really your preference on the Aug- I run mine with an 4-12 Burris laser ,because I like the quick check on distance when going out well past its 300 yards zero.If I didn't shoot it at quite long range,I might use the 12x leupold .No right and wrong,though if you are dialling in clicks,a quality scope is more reliable.I use the reticule points,as I know their zeros.

george

george do you have any advice on hand loading for the AUG, i will be using new brass, but i don't want any hard extraction, with straight pulls iv'e always used Varget powder, do you have to load them up a little shy of a hot load, i want accuracy and a good working rifle.

george do you have any advice on hand loading for the AUG, i will be using new brass, but i don't want any hard extraction, with straight pulls iv'e always used Varget powder, do you have to load them up a little shy of a hot load, i want accuracy and a good working rifle.

Hi,yes I'd definitely start down from max -remember that some advice refers to gas-op self loading original/US rifles- and work up-back off as soon as extraction even begins to get sticky.It probably won't hurt accuracy-best is often as not less than max anyhow,and it will aid barrel life, I use Vihtavuori powder.This is not a rifle that needs every last fps,New brass definitely-again you may need to full length resize,when reloading.Mine can be quite fussy about used brass. I did shoot some Wolf 55/62 g,with no problems at all,but it was not really accurate-maybe 3 moa.

george

You have to full length resize with any straight pull, otherwise you will get hard extractions if the load is moderate to warm.

Mine shoots full length sized RUAG or remmy brass with 24.5 grains of vhit 140 or varget, with a 77 grain matchking. Its very accurate with it, and no hard extractions.

Garbage with milsurp of any sort.

Use the bushnell. The turrets are very reliable for returning to zero. I use a 2.5 -16 x 42 , and its superb.

Thanks George and Baldie

Will be using new brass with the rifle, and yes will be using the new Bushnell 3.5-21x50 scope with the 34mm tube, in a moment of madness i ordered the last one in stock at the Sportsman Gun center, it has the HDMR reticule, really should have forgot the scope but its at the old price, so i will suffer later.

Any of your rifles had any work done on them like the trigger or charging handle, i have been told that you can strip the trigger down and get rid if the mould spree lines with a knife and file, then drop in some dry lube, also do you you get any clearance issues from the cocking the rifle with your hand, also i'm surprised that 77 grain heads shoot well, been told no more than 70 grain in 1-9 tubes.

Archived