Your perfect varmitting reticle?

Elwood

To be honest after my trip out last night with Andy you will be hard pressed to get anything much better than the NP-2DD. Under the lamp with illumination on it is fast onto target the reticule leading the eye very quickly.

For day light varminting the reticule gives an excellent aim point as it does on the range.

To improve on it is a hard one, you could perhaps add some meaningful elevation and windage hash marks, again you need to be careful not to clutter things up!

The NP-2DD wins with its simplicity.

Cheers

Dave

I have NP-2DD on all of my Nightforce scoped rifles and all are zeroed for 200 yards.The small dot I never use and I dial in everything past 300 and holdover in between,, even with the 308!! All I wish for is better glass and a fixed 15x56 nightforce scope ??

When you lads get over 55 your eyes will start to fail. Suddenly at night the center dot on NP2DD vanishes, I find the unillumated ret better as I need more light on the target these days to id it. You can still be good enough using the horizontal stadia. I probably need to use my glasses when rifle shooting.

I use a pair of Ziess Diavari C s on 17AH and 22LR, the plex ret in those have never let me down so I suspect the best modern ret is Ronnys Ziess No 60. I just hope to hell I never get to look through one at night, could be bankrupting !.

A

When you lads get over 55 your eyes will start to fail. Suddenly at night the center dot on NP2DD vanishes, I find the unillumated ret better as I need more light on the target these days to id it. You can still be good enough using the horizontal stadia. I probably need to use my glasses when rifle shooting.

I use a pair of Ziess Diavari C s on 17AH and 22LR, the plex ret in those have never let me down so I suspect the best modern ret is Ronnys Ziess No 60. I just hope to hell I never get to look through one at night, could be bankrupting !.

A

Nothing to worrry about,but we all have a blind spot where the optic nerve enters the retina-you might notice that at night your dead central vision isn't there-it's a small spot-and easily compensated by slight shift of focus.Colour receptors are also much reduced.All this is approximate,because after 55 your memory for basic optometry gets vulnerable.It's likely though that we need different sizes/brightness in dots-very few scopes offer that,wihout increasing fuzziness.

I can see the NP2DD advantage-and like mine,except that the scope is way way too heavy,and the reticule isn't too good for daylight because it lacks other reference points.Then I much prefer the other NF options-mil dot,NPR2 ladder or the ultimate NF for long range the NP1RR .These are all hi mag models(8-42).High mag of course is counterproductive in the dark.You just don't need much for lamped fox-one dot should be very close out to 200y(zero sensibly) the NP2DD second dot is probably just too many moa to be much good-and you don't need it.I had a similar reticule little hakko 4x,but that wasn't enough mag or clarity really beyond 100y.There must be something that does not cost £1000+.

Long range daytime is a different ball game-here the big NF are excellent,I don't relly like elaborate Xmas trees,but having several reference points at known distance POI are very useful.Glass clarity is just not an issue,unless my eyes have got a lot better with age--it's actually hard to find a mid range scope that isn't ok these days in normal daylight.Reliable clicks may be more important-esp if you don't have the ref reticule markings (ofc ourse these have to be verified for your cartridge).If possible,I like cross hairs to be on a 500,and mil dots above at known shorter ranges,and those below at longer.But small targets need clicked in.

Leupolds are fine,and of course the europeans,but some compromises seem inevitable-but you can minimise them with some care as to what you actually need/like.AS ever,it varies a bit between the rifle,the task in hand,and the nut behind.

george

ps there may be some advantages post 55 if you make your mistakes earlier and learn!

I use a Swarovski habicht 6-24x50 with the tds4 reticle. It's a Christmas tree reticle with 4 bars below it. Crosshairs at 100 yards next one down 200 yards,next one 300 yards then 400 then 500 yards. If I've time at night I just range the fox say its 300 yards I line up the second bar down from the crosshairs and pull the trigger. All these bars are within a quarter of an inch on the drop.

reticle-12-52x56_1.jpgIOR do an MOA version of the MP8 reticule illuminated centre dot . available in first and second focal plane

I have a 2-12 mag IOR which I am very pleased with and hope to upgrade to the 6 - 24 mag when funds permit

reticle-12-52x56_1.jpgIOR do an MOA version of the MP8 reticule illuminated centre dot . available in first and second focal plane

I have a 2-12 mag IOR which I am very pleased with and hope to upgrade to the 6 - 24 mag when funds permit

Thanks 6.5G . IOR-Lots of reference points,but not too cluttered.Needs higher mag for me (no ,I am not shooting foxes 150 yards away in the dark with this!) but getting there. Horses for courses.

g

Archived