Advise needed Please

dorg

I have aquired a Sako 75 1 action I put a cheap scope on it and zeroed it, Rifle shot well but was shooting about 35moa out o fthe center of the scope windage, At this point I did'nt take much notice. of it. I swapped the scope for a Nightforce and having run out of windage the rifle is shooting 4 inches out at 50yds.I have tried at least 4 sets of optilocs its not the ringsHaving tried two scopes its not the scope.How do I check the barrel is not bent.

If the barrel is bent and I pack the mounts to get the rifle to zero, will the rifle be in zero at all distances and not just the distance I zero at. Any ideas please

I have now rolled the barrel across a flat surface and can see no signs of and bend in the barrel,what are the chances of the tenon on the barrel not being straight.

I have aquired a Sako 75 1 action I put a cheap scope on it and zeroed it, Rifle shot well but was shooting about 35moa out o fthe center of the scope windage, At this point I did'nt take much notice. of it. I swapped the scope for a Nightforce and having run out of windage the rifle is shooting 4 inches out at 50yds.I have tried at least 4 sets of optilocs its not the ringsHaving tried two scopes its not the scope.How do I check the barrel is not bent.

If the barrel is bent and I pack the mounts to get the rifle to zero, will the rifle be in zero at all distances and not just the distance I zero at. Any ideas please

I have now rolled the barrel across a flat surface and can see no signs of and bend in the barrel,what are the chances of the tenon on the barrel not being straight.

It the rings my money says, how have you checked this? You check a barrel straight by looking through the bore, it becomes obvious by the shadow lines, look through a few proven straight ones to get what they should look like then compare. If its an original barrel I seriously doubt its that far out from the factory, even if it was it would have gone back to the factory a few years back as nobody else would ever have got it zeroed up

Hi,

As the Sako action is investment cast it may be that the receiver threads are not true or the front face of the receiver is not square to the centre line. If there is any 'slop' or give in the barrel threads then the barrel may not 'pull up' true. Sako quality control is better than most mass producers but the odd 'lemon' does creep out. Witness the problems that various people have had attempting to zero their Sako Quads with out of alignment barrels,

Alan

Dorg,

A bend in the barrel's bore causing it to shoot off won't show up on the outside as much as you would think, running a barrel on a flat surface is more to do with how the contour was made, so may not show up, Out of interest how did you manage to remove the barrel and run it on a flat surface?

The best way to check a bend is to simply look up the bore from the muzzle, obviuosly with no ammunition in the chamber!!!!! .. you will see if its straight.,

Alan your correct about Sako quality,, very good.

atb, Lee

Firstly its not the rings, we tried 4 separate sets and even twisted each ring round 180 degrees and checked witha comulator if thats the word.We did not remove the barrel simply ran it along some worktop with the action hanging off the edge watching for any light under the barrel.I have never had a Sako with this problem before and I have owned an odden or ten.

4" at 50yds on maximum windage says mount or mounting error all over it, as its a 75 not an 85 it is unlikely to be fresh out of the factory so barrel alignment (if it is out) should have been sorted by previous owners and the error is so bad it didn't leave sako that way I assure you. haven't the faintest clue what that tester is you mention is I should get a long section of proven straight bar and fit in in those mounts you should be able to see the error by mk1 eyeball. packing the mounts out to get it on zero will do nothing other than zero it for that one distance, the bullets path will continue to exaggerate out to the side at increasing distances. Has it come off a quad bike or something? have seen bent actions and barrels from this but the damage is mostly very visible, is it a rough gun? has it been cosmetically made good? The ID and OD of a barrel are very different things but setting the barrelled action up in a lathe and running a DTI over it might confirm if you really think this is the case. But try the long bar its easier and quicker a local engineers shop will like as not lend you one for a 4 pack?

The gun is in very good condition with no signs of damage or rough handling, the gun was not exspensive and if only action is any good I will not be out of pocket. Spoke tp GMK today and they have no idea.Everything I suggested they thought unlikley.

There are plenty on here which are a lot more experienced than I but a crude idea may be to take a chord from the centre of the bolt shot to the centre of the muzzle and see where it lands over the top of the action, specifically if it passes through eh centre of the dovetails etc.

Just an idea?

Must be something major wrong with it if you have no windage left with a nf scope on it. After all they have a huge amount of clicks.

And if they have ran out it sounds more then a mount problem. Only other thing you can do I guess is get some windage adjustable rings and get your clicks back on the scope that way

I presume you have checked the front bases windage in relation to the windage adjustability manufactured into the tapered dovetail sesign. Being an action 1 i would suspect it will seem small to the action 3 i know you own and you may have inadvertently moved the front base forward a long way to accomodate the saddle on the scope.

Archived