views on cheaper optics

maxxis35

I'm getting a Steyr AUG soon and want to fit a variable scope, i may hold out for the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 scope when they finally come to this land, but i'd like your view on the Falcon range of scopes, the Menace series, you seem to get a lot for what you pay for, and i know that the objective is screwed on to the main tube, i normally go down the Leupold route but this time i'm pushed by money, i'm not going to be using the adjustment turrets much as the comps i want to do for fun will rely on the reticule itself, i know scopes as a rule but have been in the blackpowder game for a while now and my knowledge has gone somewhat. look forward to your comments and thank you all in advance. :)

I'm getting a Steyr AUG soon and want to fit a variable scope, i may hold out for the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 scope when they finally come to this land, but i'd like your view on the Falcon range of scopes, the Menace series, you seem to get a lot for what you pay for, and i know that the objective is screwed on to the main tube, i normally go down the Leupold route but this time i'm pushed by money, i'm not going to be using the adjustment turrets much as the comps i want to do for fun will rely on the reticule itself, i know scopes as a rule but have been in the blackpowder game for a while now and my knowledge has gone somewhat. look forward to your comments and thank you all in advance. :)

OK-been there-from your likely use,I'd say a mil dot reticle-the Aug is quite reasonably accurate for what it is,but you don't need a fine target reticule!-one thing it won't ever have is a 2oz trigger!! Nor does it really merit a top price new scope,where a lot of the cost quite rightly goes into replicable clicks,and of course good low light glass.Not applicable here.How much mag is really down to usage and personal preference.I looked at eg Viper but some were a bit overfussy on the reticules,and in the end used a 4-12x laser Burris,then an old 10x leupold .Neither are quite right for the above specs (one is too much £,second has just duplex),I'm sure others will have more experience of 'pushed for £ scopes-many rifles are overscoped for semi serious plinking .

george

OK-been there-from your likely use,I'd say a mil dot reticle-the Aug is quite reasonably accurate for what it is,but you don't need a fine target reticule!-one thing it won't ever have is a 2oz trigger!! Nor does it really merit a top price new scope,where a lot of the cost quite rightly goes into replicable clicks,and of course good low light glass.Not applicable here.How much mag is really down to usage and personal preference.I looked at eg Viper but some were a bit overfussy on the reticules,and in the end used a 4-12x laser Burris,then an old 10x leupold .Neither are quite right for the above specs (one is too much £,second has just duplex),I'm sure others will have more experience of 'pushed for £ scopes-many rifles are overscoped for semi serious plinking .

george

I do see a lot of folk out on the range with more scope than they need, i know if you have the cash, the lure of sexy scopes are hard to fight off, the Bushnell seems the best bet as it's nice and short which is good for the short rifle it's going on, i know the Falcons are a little long due to the mag range and low price, so not sure if it would look top heavy.

For the money I thnk that the Falcon's are pretty good and give a good account of themselves. The ones I've had have all stood up to .308 recoil and tracked accurately and reliably. The only downside is they are rather big and heavy and the glass whilst ok is nothing special (still very good for the price point). I did have an issue with one and the guys at Falcon looked after me superbly. The fixed 10x is worth a look at.

For the money I thnk that the Falcon's are pretty good and give a good account of themselves. The ones I've had have all stood up to .308 recoil and tracked accurately and reliably. The only downside is they are rather big and heavy and the glass whilst ok is nothing special (still very good for the price point). I did have an issue with one and the guys at Falcon looked after me superbly. The fixed 10x is worth a look at.

I'd go along with that, I bought a fixed 10x from Gamekeeper on here (the one in the pic below) - the glass is amazing.

The ret is superb - I'd like it in any scope. Clicks are 'squishy' but they seem to do what they say.

All round an amazing scope for a tenth of the price of a posh scope.

IMG-20130223-00634850x638_zps40e095eb.jp

i have been using a nikon sterling targetmaster 6-24x50 on top of my foxing rifle a 20tac for about 12 months dont intend to say it is the best scope out there but for foxing 200-300 yrds at night it is pretty good tactical turrets so i can shoot out to 500yrds in daytime for long rabbits crows illuminated ret and all for about £250 not bad at all never had a issue with it at night point and shoot tracking seems to be ok give it a ago good thing with cheaper scopes you dont loose as much money on them if you are not happy with your chioce at the end of the day do you need to spend £1000s on a foxing scope i dont think you do

I'd go along with that, I bought a fixed 10x from Gamekeeper on here (the one in the pic below) - the glass is amazing.

The ret is superb - I'd like it in any scope. Clicks are 'squishy' but they seem to do what they say.

All round an amazing scope for a tenth of the price of a posh scope.

IMG-20130223-00634850x638_zps40e095eb.jp

I gotta agree with Matt here, for the money, a good scope, bloody nice looking 10/22 as well ;)

Archived