Lapping scope rings

Have you had your scope rings lapped?

Im thinking with modern 0 moa rails and cnc'd rings that it should be superfluous?

If your running angled rails have you needed to do it or damaged a tube by not having it done?

How is it done? I would have though it be fairly easy with the right diameter bar stock a black marker and some wet+dry/micromesh?

As always your advise is greatly received

Cheers Will

Obviously I don't want to damage any scope but in fairness I've mounted dozens of scopes over the last 15 years and have only ever had one pinched tube on a rimfire from using cheap alloy mounts and i've never had a scope shift.

I've not seen Davys kit but the Wheeler one is nothing much more than a tube and some 220 grit grinding/polishing compound which seems steep for over £50, unless you can tell me i'm wrong?

Lapping the rings not only ensure you don’t crimp the scope tube but ensures that the rings have 100% contact with scope helping to stop it moving under heavy recoil.

Every set of rings that I have lapped showed less than perfect contact with the tube before lapping, some having maybe only 50% contact.

So I would lap them if it was me.

ATB

Tahr

I like to have lapped rings, since it offers piece of mind. Plus good scopes are as good as money in the bank, so it is worth looking after your investment....

Although anyone know of a 40mm lapping bar?

I like to have lapped rings, since it offers piece of mind. Plus good scopes are as good as money in the bank, so it is worth looking after your investment....

Although anyone know of a 40mm lapping bar?

EBay item 270659878305

I use the burris zee rings which have the swirling inserts similar to the optiloc but with the advantage that they can gain you up to 10mins elevation and center your scope.

Only do inch and 30mm but had sterling service from mine with absolutely no scope damage.

Somehow feel that badly lapped rings may cause more damage...........

If you are spending thousands on a scope, don't waste your time with lapping. Just get a one piece mount from third eye or larue.

My thoughts

Rup

Archived