Clean Hands

sandersj89

There we were tonight, out with the lamp, one fox in the bag and me carry said fox.

Get some more eyes in the light and I start to call but forgot I have , a: paunched a rabbit….and b: been carrying a fox.

Hand to lips, start calling only to nearly fall over with the stench of fox and rabbit on my palm……ewwwwwwww

Jerry

Yep, the "moment" does mean you tend to forget little things like that as it did last night. There were two of us last night, both carrying rifles and lamps but I am more of a back up when with brian as he has the .223 and I have my HMR. Therefore I do most of the calling and torch work while he concentrates on the shooting unless charlie is close in and I will take it.

Tried a new method of paunching last night that I saw here:

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/smd...nt=DSCF2548.flv

It worked a treat and did mean there was not so much fluids to get your hands so dirty.

Jerry

done that a few times myself, learned my lesson and carry gloves now, col totally no what you mean about getting caught up in the moment when you see those eyes you go into auto pilot. Darrel I used to take all my foxes home and keep them for magpie bait, I used to leave them laying in the field and hide with the .22 lr great craic but I cant bebotherd carrying them home anymore and in the summer they bloody stink in a day. Now I just shoot them with the tac20 at longer distances, much easier on the arms and nobody is asking me what the stink is coming from that old feed bag in the outhouse. ;)

Did you get the fox after the tasty hand call

Nope, not that one, he was having none of it and went away from us, walked around the cover to try and head him off in another field and got the eyes in the scope again and this time he stayed put with the call.

Trouble is my shooting partner missed the shot.....very unlike him!

Jerry

Archived