SFP or FFP....pros and cons

204 RUGER

Apologies if this has been covered many times before. I did try to search but came up blank. I have always owned SFP rifle scopes and never owned an FFP. I understand the difference and do like the idea of the FFP reticle for long range shooting. What are the practicalities and pros for having FFP. I guess if you are dialling in for drop and windage it doesn't have any benefit? But if planning to use the increments/mil dots I would imagine it makes a big difference. How well do they track with increased mag, ie if 2nd mild out equates to a certain POI say 2inch drop when set on lowest mag does it still represent the same drop/POI on highest mag, does that depend on the quality?

Apologies if this has been covered many times before. I did try to search but came up blank. I have always owned SFP rifle scopes and never owned an FFP. I understand the difference and do like the idea of the FFP reticle for long range shooting. What are the practicalities and pros for having FFP. I guess if you are dialling in for drop and windage it doesn't have any benefit? But if planning to use the increments/mil dots I would imagine it makes a big difference. How well do they track with increased mag, ie if 2nd mild out equates to a certain POI say 2inch drop when set on lowest mag does it still represent the same drop/POI on highest mag, does that depend on the quality?

I have a number of S&B PM 11 scopes with P4Fine reticles and the FFP ones are great in my view at any magnification that I typically use.

I also have a couple of SFP ones with the same reticle and now that I am trying to improve my Hold-off technique (rather than dialing in corrections) I am finding them cumbersome due to the marks only being valid at a set magnification.... wish I had paid for the FFP now!

Dave T

if you are holding off then having the reticule the same relation to the target at any mag is a real bonus , even for measuring your fall of shot and converting it to click value for a dialed correction is easier with it all in the same plane.

you just need to make sure that the reticule is ok to use at both ends of the mag range , not too thick for precision but not too thin so you lose sight of it?

AS long as the reticle thickness is good at the higher power of the scope , ie the reticle has been well speced for the power of the scope at the high end , then its all pluses , I have both 4-16x & 5-25x Benders & find them to be great in all ways .

The FFP is very , very simple & super quick in practical application , wether for aimoffs , moving tgts or adjustments , just simple , quick & practical , and you will NOT realise by how much , until you actually use one , then its likely that you will ONLY want a good FFP scope .

Later Chris

Archived