Quick release scope mount

tealo

I use a custom Leupold QR system on a 4 calibre switch barrel rifle to good effect

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/17218-Quick-Release-Mounts-for-rimfire-air-rifle-9-11mm-(Sako-Quad-etc)?highlight=QR+rimfire

To the point now where i no longer check zero it is that accurate

Rimfire calibres but nevertheless I can't fault the system

This first build could have been machined down to make it look a little prettier but I quite like the solid feel to them

I looked a number of them and it is the only design I can find that doesnt have a lateral POI change depending on torque or wear of contact points

the only thing i can see altering the actual mount position is foreign bodies between ring and base or significant wear to the mounting holes/pins

I have some spare bases I am having machined to accommodate a Weaver dovetail so I can use a 6x scope for stalking and a larger high mag scope for the occasional paper exercise at longer range

No practical experience to help however the general internet gossip seems to be that the Talley ones are the best. Its what I think I'm going to use on the 2 current builds and we'll see if there as good as they reckon. You can read so much I learnt long ago it often just to test stuff for yourself.

There are a few pointers about getting the best out of them though like pushing to the front of the slot when you mount them and also tips with keeping the torque the same with the levers (something that was rated well with the Talleys but we will see). Use might dictate a lot too as maintaining zero for a hunting rig might mean slightly different things than on your target pride and joy.

Should have mine operation by the summer sometime Mcmillian turn arround willing but I expect your need something before then so good luck.

Hi,

I've used Talley, Leupold, Warne (Premier & Maxima), MAK, Apel etc. on builds and on my own personal rifles with no problems. As long as the bases are fitted square and parallel and as mentioned previously that the rings are always engaged in the same position then there should be no issues. With modern production techniques ensuring repeatability this concern of returning to zero is less of an issue than in the days of individually made and fitted components,

Alan

Hi,

I've used Talley, Leupold, Warne (Premier & Maxima), MAK, Apel etc. on builds and on my own personal rifles with no problems. As long as the bases are fitted square and parallel and as mentioned previously that the rings are always engaged in the same position then there should be no issues. With modern production techniques ensuring repeatability this concern of returning to zero is less of an issue than in the days of individually made and fitted components,

Alan

+ 1 on Alan's view. If you have spare slots on the base outside of the mounts, just remember to remount the scope in the same position, eg note there should be 3 slots unused behind the rear mount edge or suchlike. If it's a sloped rail, I've found that moving the scope along it seems to make a zero-change. (I don't know why - since the entire rail is sitting at the same angle in relation to the bore, you'd think it wouldn't make a difference. Maybe moving the scope along the rail has the effect of taking it closer to the bore when moved forward and further away when moved backwards?)

Have Apel mounts on my stalking rifle and take the scope off regularly with no loss of zero. Just got some ARMS mounts for my AR too which boast the same!

I think as long as you stick with a good make you will be fine :)

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I'm looking to swap from a night vision scope for fox to a s&b for the deer.

Ye this is i will be doing again this summer, dedicated nv to day scope, i use Leup QD mounts they work fine.

Archived