I ordered a 17 Winchester Super Magnum yesterday.

Andrew

It's a Savage and won't be shipped until June. It is really only the action I want to build a 5mm Remington Magnum on. The rims are of similar dimension and both the 17WSM and 5mm RM operate at the same pressures. Should be a fun build.~Andrew

It's a Savage and won't be shipped until June. It is really only the action I want to build a 5mm Remington Magnum on. The rims are of similar dimension and both the 17WSM and 5mm RM operate at the same pressures. Should be a fun build.~Andrew

We didn't get the 5 Rem mag over here,Andrew.(nor Aguila's later 17). Can you still get 5rem mag ammo-or is it essentially all gone now? Was there ever a semi auto option? (We can only have semi autos in 22rf these days,a legal restriction imposed before the 17rf's appeared,but unlikely to be repealed any time soon!)

george

We didn't get the 5 Rem mag over here,Andrew.(nor Aguila's later 17). Can you still get 5rem mag ammo-or is it essentially all gone now? Was there ever a semi auto option? (We can only have semi autos in 22rf these days,a legal restriction imposed before the 17rf's appeared,but unlikely to be repealed any time soon!)

george

The 5mm Remington has been back in production for the last 5 years or so with some upgraded ballistics. I have two original Remington rifles and one Thompson Center single shot in 5mm. The current loading is a 30 grn JSP or JHP at around 2550 fps. No one makes rifles for it but Centurion Ordnance does a bumper business feeding the old Remingtons. They had some performance issues at one point, fired a bunch of people at the plant, and now are producing a top-notch small game round. I shoot prairiedogs with it.~Andrew

ThompsonCenterandammoRED.jpg

Archived