Better than nothing

Redfox

Went out this morning about 9am to some fishing where I bailiff, to discuss some work needing doing and see if any cormorants were about, just one, soon got it jet propelled with blanks.

Called in at a farm down the road on the way back, farmer is a good friend and enjoys a natter, ended up staying for dinner and only when his wife wanted to go shopping would he let me get away :angry:

Went to another farm and spotted a couple of rabbits across the field munching on the new shoots of barley, time for the 17 rem, head shot both at about 180yds, puttin wellies on to retreive them when crow dropped in for a look ( they have remarkable eyesight), as I came round the car to get rifle, he up and dropped in over the hedge next field which was well water logged.

I reckoned about 250 yds away, got over the bonnet and a puff of black feathers and his day was well spoilt, picked up the rabbits ( too bloody wet to go after the crow ) and took them round to the farmhouse. John the farmer was licking his lips when I got there, "I heard the shots he said did you miss one?". No the other was a crow I said you know they are a bit bitter eating so I left it :)

So another cup of tea and natter and home about 4.30, good lazy day out and a few shots , what more can you ask. :P

Redfox

Guest steyrman2

hi redfox i also am a private water keeper on a salmon river we have a big problem with them cormorants this time of year we just frighten them with the 223 :) we done a study on them there were 12 found dead from fright the amount of smolts ,and salmon spawn ,and small trout up to half a pound the would clean out a pool in a short space of time if left alone :angry:

Steyrman

Your not wrong, an adult bird weighs around 2 1/2 lbs and they eat at least their own weight every day. I like wildlife but there has to be some control or there will be nothing left.

Natures balance is BS put around by know nothing tree huggers. Natures way ( if there were a way after centuries of man altering things) is feast or famine. What would really happen is the cormorants , goosanders etc would eat them selves out, 90% would die off and the lakes and rivers would be virtually dead. 50 to 70 yrs from then the fish stocks would have recovered, then the cormorants etc would be back with a vengeance and the cycle would start again.

Properly managed by people who understand the countryside, there is a balance, predators are kept down to sensible levels and everything gets a chance, but try telling the antis and tree huggers that :angry: you get no sense at all.

Redfox

Went out this morning about 9am to some fishing where I bailiff, to discuss some work needing doing and see if any cormorants were about, just one, soon got it jet propelled with blanks.

Called in at a farm down the road on the way back, farmer is a good friend and enjoys a natter, ended up staying for dinner and only when his wife wanted to go shopping would he let me get away ;)

Went to another farm and spotted a couple of rabbits across the field munching on the new shoots of barley, time for the 17 rem, head shot both at about 180yds, puttin wellies on to retreive them when crow dropped in for a look ( they have remarkable eyesight), as I came round the car to get rifle, he up and dropped in over the hedge next field which was well water logged.

I reckoned about 250 yds away, got over the bonnet and a puff of black feathers and his day was well spoilt, picked up the rabbits ( too bloody wet to go after the crow ) and took them round to the farmhouse. John the farmer was licking his lips when I got there, "I heard the shots he said did you miss one?". No the other was a crow I said you know they are a bit bitter eating so I left it ;)

So another cup of tea and natter and home about 4.30, good lazy day out and a few shots , what more can you ask. :P

Redfox

Dont you just love the 17 Rem, I prefer it to my 223. Them little 25g peckers hit home hard

Archived