Sako 75 sporter how short can it be chopped to?

deerman

Hi all,

I have a much under-used Sako 75 sporter in .308 which was threaded with a 1/2" UNEF thread from new to suit a moderator I had at the time. Since then I have been doing all my shooting with the .243 and neglected the .308 for a few years now. I want to start using this rifle more now and want to fit a new titanium moderator threaded to suit the RPA barrel thread interface (M17x1 with spigot), so I would like to know: 1) given that it is a sporter, how short would it have to be cut down to so that the spigot could be machined? 2) The barrel currently on it is the bog standard 22" long, with the loss of length would range and accuracy be detrimentally affected, and if so by how much - the rifle will be used primarily for stalking? 3) Who could to this job from here - it is a small job, but I would like to have it done by somebody who knows what they are doing as the tolerances in the moderator buit are very tight?

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

George

Hi George,

You need to get the calipers out, and measure the point at which the barrel diameter is 19mm. If this is at a point less than 16-17" i wouldnt bother with the chop.

I believe you are based in London?

If so you could pop down over christmas and i can do it whilst you wait.

George -

with the right powder and projectiles, you can go -short- and still have plenty of performance for deer.

TTSXs and H335 will give you that. I think I recall Norm at NZ Hunter telling me the other day that CFE223 was also giving very good results with this combo in 16" barrels

Chris-NZ

Archived