Rain Stops Long Enough or a Night Out

sandersj89

Get a message from a mate celebrating the fact it has stopped raining and did I want to go out this evening at one of his permissions close to home for a wander and look see.

Bit of juggling things with the wife and the kids and game on for a 8.15pm meet. I get there and wait a few mins and Brian hares round the corner in his landie and we kit up and head to the far side of the permission right on the top of the South Downs.

It is a lovely clear night, if a little bright with a half moon. Not a breath of wind.

Into the first field and I take the shooting position out of the roof of the landie and Brian drives and lamps with his rook mounted lamp. I get to play with his AR for the first time so a quick safety chat and we set of.

Lamp around a few bunnies on show but more interestingly there is a set of amber eyes close to the top of the field, shame they headed over the brow at a rate of knots.

No bother it is heading down to the other side of the permission and with luck we may meet up later.

Brian then says to have a pop at a rabbit as I was keen to try a centre fire after a looooong break form them. Nice shot at about 100 yards presents itself and I squeeze off a shot after realising the AR has a 2 stage trigger.

Get that lovely sound of a hit but could we find the rabbit…no chance!

Grrrrrrrr

Carry on around a bit and another bunnie sits up and crack. This time no problem and I see the effect of a .223 on a rabbit. I aimed at the shoulder and half skinned the rabbit. Out like a light.

We roll around a bit more and I fluff a very close rabbit, not enough hold over for the 70m zero then we get a little excited over another set of eyes but it was a badger.

Final field that side of the permission and again eyes in the lee of a hedge, this time it was a sheep caught up in brambles. Brian leaves that one to me to sort out as I am the sheep expert…..not sure how to take that!!!

We then head back to the main area and park up the landie and head out on foot as it is very very wet down at the base of the downs. The grass was starting to crisp up with frost but neither of us fancied getting down on the ground to take a shot as we would have been soaked in an instant.

We wander a few fields and see a few rabbits but no sign of Charlie so we sit up under a trio of oak trees in the middle of a field and I start to call using the WAM caller and my mobile phone playing some MP3s.

We sit there for about 30mins and nothing is stirring, nice sound of a tawny owl at one point and then a magpie starts to chatter. This got me interested but it may just have been the lamp scanning around disturbing it.

The only thing we mage to get a reaction from was a rather large dog being walked by some one, we could not see the walker to begin with and exit strategies up a tree were being discussed in case it was huge rottie or similar!

At this point we then did hear a dog fax calling in the distance so decided to wander over that way to see if there was anything worth looking at.

A 15 min walk got the blood moving and we warmed up and scanned with the lamps as we walked. Waves of mist were coming over now and then but we spotted some eyes at about 200m working a hedge row. Not a safe shot so we moved closer and I called to try and get it to move to the right to present a good shot but it was not really playing ball, kept moving slowly right but also ducking in and out of the hedge as it hunted, after about 5 mins it stopped showing so we walked over to a gate to get a look at the other side of the hedge…and there he was, sat nice and proud right by an electric fence post. Brain takes up position resting on a fence post and bang, down he goes.

A dog fox, not huge but nice colouration……..but boy was he stinky!!!!

Here he is:

DFox2.jpg

Too smelly to go in the rear of the landie so he went home riding the bull bars, looks right at home in fact……

DFox1.jpg

Many thanks again Brian, enjoyed the walk and the rifle…..must remember how it cocks next time!

Jerry

Guest varmartin

Good write up of a fun evening...

I really need to get out for a shine, but working the late shift this week...days next week so hope the weather improves.

Martin

Glad you managed to get out mate and get a good result. The weather is starting to get me down, we've had to cancel to many outings because of bad weather :mellow:

Cheers

Dave

Tell me about it, have a syndicate day tomrrow at my shoot and it is going to be very wet, not going to make the birds fly that is for sure!

Jerry

Archived