.17 Ackley hornet variation

PaulB

;););) variation came through today for the .17 AH and .22hornet, now it's going to be a month or so before I can buy a .22hornet to get the job on the go, so comments please on which actions are ''a good un'', GT had a sako p75 for £150, but it sold 2 weeks back, what are they like??

May also wait till the auction catalogue for Chester in march is out (feb) see whats up for grabs??

;):D

• 2 weeks later...

If that was the one at Swillington, I went to see it.

The barrel was a shrink fit, if that's the right phrase, into the receiver (i.e., the action heated and barrel inserted so the barrel is a tight fit in the action when the action contracts as it cools) and pinned in position. So the action's not threaded for the barrel and there was not much thickness to the action at one point to allow it to be threaded to receive a screwcut barrel shank.

The action had a single recoil lug, like many rimfires, part way along the bolt, rather than twin forward ones. I decided that I would not want a wildcat rifle built on that action. It just didn't look strong enough to me.

I used an anschutz action for mine which was threaded to take the new barrel,yes it does have a rear locking lug but with the pressures generated by any wildcat based on the hornet case you'll have nothing to worry about.

Archived