right need some help on this one

reloaderdan

hi all i have on my land a big old dog fox who is dam near bullet proof

the strech of land he frequents is right along side the landing area of an raf base and with £30 million pound helicopters its not a safe shot to take rember thay can fire back also :D i have tryed calling and he just sits there and looks then just ambles along on his merry way as for snares i have had them down for months now so there is no scent trail of them and he wont go near them as a last resort i have put a live cage trap down for him but i am not holding my breath as this fox seams to have a sixth sence of his inpending doom

bait stations have worked in the past but this bugger comes all times of the night and on friday took the head of the bosses gander so its all out war now any sugestions would be most helpfull but there will be no use of poisen i just dont think it is fair on any animal

happy hunting guys

Hi Dan,

Well poison is illegal anyhow so you won't get any tips on that :D

As for getting to grips with this fox, if you know his prefered route, get in position down wind and wait for him, instead of calling him, if you have chance of a shot shout "Oi", that should stop him in his track's :lol:

Another thing to do is you have shot a dog fox from out of another area, cut it open to reveal the bladder (make sure you got gloves on) and try to get the bladder out and drain it into a bottle, then go to your area and spray the urine in an area where it is safe for you to shoot. That should hold it's attention long enough for you to drop him :lol:

thanks for that kip i think it will be a trip up the hunt for some fox bladder juice and ill give that a go if it works ill give ya a big kiss to cos this bugger is getting the better of me big time lol

Guest Smeagle

A job like that the trick is to bring him to you. You have an idea where he is and his patrol route. So cone him in, basically form a scent cone that he cannot resist. I like beef grease, this a is kind of beef stock, pour it into a plastic bag and put a small hole in the corner and drip run it to your selected ambush point. If you do it right he will travel literally for miles.

Then lay out some goodies, and old carcase is good if you can but try and get something big enough that he can't just pick up and do a runner.

When he sits to feed nail him. Good luck.

A dead sheep is irresitible to foxes, a part of one buried no more than 2 inches down will bring them from miles away, they like other things too, a goose carcase, chicken, or for some reason a cat that has passed away is a great favourite. You already have the goose one, put it in a safe firing point and bury it enough so he has to dig it up or eat it there. You will get it.

Redfox

I know you have said you have tried calling him, well try this as this certainly works but you would have to be prepared to wait a while ,

Down load the distress call of a Kitten off the net and place put onto CD play from a small CD player with external speaker and place the caller about 100yrds from your position up wind if you can but dont play it to loud, spread 2 or 3 tins of pilchards and the cheapest cat food you can buy around the caller about 20m radius.

Also have a tin spread down wind of you incase charlie comes in from behind and this will mask your sent.

This was showed to me some years ago whilst I was culling up in Scotland for Estates by one of the game keepers, he used live Kittens in a closed cage trap the night I went out with him he placed 2 Kittens in each of the 3 traps and within 2-3 hrs had shot 8 charlies over them.

I have only done it twice down my way and that was for foxes that had been lamped on other estates that had come over the boundery onto our land and had become so spooky of the normal rabbit call. It may also help to use a filter just to take the edge off the brightness of the lamp, but you have to give it time .

Im lucky these days as I have some night gear Kicking about which as a mate of mine [6mmBR]will tell you are great bits of kit.

Just a word of caution if you ever get the chance to use night vision there alongside the base inform the gate that your using it as if it is a high security base they may have I R sensors in the area. :lol:

thanks guys for the advice i have just got my gear ready as we are going out tonight

the cage trap i layed has had all the outside bait taken and there is fox fur on the outside of the cage so hopfully he is custom to it being there now and will take the bate i am also going to try the kitten calls and the food stuffs so hopefully he will be nailed sooner rather than later :lol:

will keep you all posted on how i progress with this problem and i will take a photo of the area so you can see how this little bugger gets the better of me :(

thanks again guys

happy hunting :lol:

In your cage trap it helps if the bottom of the cage has straw or earth covering the bottom, if you can bait it with a dead chicken it's handy if you can get some straw from a chicken house.

I was out a while back a came across a lot of makerel dumped in a hedge, in less then 10 minutes we shot 4 foxes there and there were another half dozen about the area but were not safe shots, so maybe you can get some old fish from your local fish monger at a fair price.

Keep us posted pard, you will get him/her it's just a matter of time. I have a vixen I have been after for some 18 months I guess it must be now, I will get her at some point and the feeling will be all the sweeter ;)

Guest Smeagle

Anything that smells really strong they will come to, the beef grease was basically strong smelling and easy to get. The local butcher or abattoir, get the fat or the yellow fat and some bones and bits of off cuts and offal and boil it down and make a large kinda sticky stinking soup with it, you can also add tuna or fish oil aswell just stuff to get the glands going, keep it well watered and boil for a few hours if you feel like it and cool and put into plastic bags. Or if the butcher has some like liquid dripping that works as well.

Then just lay it in cones back to your ambush point, basically triangles around the area and sit at the apex.

It works really well on sharks as well. That was where I got the idea if you can burley fish why not other predators, and you can.

I am sure someone else has done it before.

The mackeral one above made me smile as I have used them to good effect too.

I have a 3foot section of white plastic down pipe, does not need to white but it does show up better under a dim lamp.

Along the length of this I have drilled a few 1" holes to let more more through it. Into this goes a whole mackeral and I hang it off a fence high enough so the fox/badgers cant reach it and so the air circulates around it. I leave it a couple of days to get smelly and then take up my ambush position.

Has worked well.

I also use the horse hoof bait, though I have added sheep and cow hoof clippings as well to the brew.

To use it I take a 35mm film canister, drill a few holes through it and stuff with cotton wool. Soak that with the bait mix and hang in a likely spot for Charly to find.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

GOT THE BUGGER :lol:;) thanks for all your help guys i was out last night and waiting for the old fox to show up near the stink tube i had hung and after about 40 mins in he stroled at about 135 paces no messing this time sliped the saftey and sent fourth a 55gr norma balistic tip out of my .243 and bang down he went the little bugger may have given me the run around for ages but the stink tube caught him out big time thanks again for all your help on this i would never of thought about putting a tube up if i did not get the advice form you all ;);)

on a more upseting not i went to check the live traps only to find they had been destroyed by human intervention so well pissed of about that we had a spell of larsons being broken up a few years ago and then it stoped as quickley as it started looks like they are after the fox traps now :angry::angry:

Beggar they made man traps illegal, very discouraging to the cage smashers when one of their ankles is in the firm grip of those metal gnashers. ;)

However a friend bought one of these game cameras with infrared flash and has caught the culprit cutting all his snares with wire cutters :lol: A chat with her husband and a request for the money to replace them with pics to show and court if non payment got him money and peace and quiet, dont know how the mad wife went on though, with the madder hubby. ;) he thought she was just dog walking!

Redfox

hi sanders i used some old rabbit gut and broke 4 eggs over them and then let it stink and my god did it chuck up when the eggs got going old foxy loved it and yes red man traps should be allowed i know the camara thing is all legal but the judge would just let them of where as the man trap would not let them off so easly :lol:;)

like your way of thinking red

Archived