Puzzling white out problem

JohnGalway

This doesn't make sense :wacko:

Last night I used the exact same set up, the exact same way, lined up scope and torch at 178 yards on a big rock I could see very clearly.

Scope mounted FandyFire STL V6 LED flashlight, mounted to a scope ring picatinny/weaver rail thingy by an adjustable mount.

On inspection it is throwing some light onto the arse end of my T8 can.

But, it had to be doing that last night too!

There is a difference in the weather tonight, in that there was a downpour, the mod was wet, there is also more moisture in the air.

But, remove the mod, problem gone.

Now how is that possible? The scope rail position hadn't been moved. Obviously the barrel length hadn't changed. So why does the light give me poor white out tonight, and crystal clear picture last night.

Effed if I know :blink:

This doesn't make sense :wacko:

Last night I used the exact same set up, the exact same way, lined up scope and torch at 178 yards on a big rock I could see very clearly.

Scope mounted FandyFire STL V6 LED flashlight, mounted to a scope ring picatinny/weaver rail thingy by an adjustable mount.

On inspection it is throwing some light onto the arse end of my T8 can.

But, it had to be doing that last night too!

There is a difference in the weather tonight, in that there was a downpour, the mod was wet, there is also more moisture in the air.

But, remove the mod, problem gone.

Now how is that possible? The scope rail position hadn't been moved. Obviously the barrel length hadn't changed. So why does the light give me poor white out tonight, and crystal clear picture last night.

Effed if I know :blink:

Light reflected by the back of the mod, then diffused by moisture in the air? Try using tape to secure a piece of card under the torch bezel to stop the light being projected down to the moderator. See if that fixes the problem.

It should do Grim, as I put my hand under the torch and as I slid it forward the sight picture improved somewhat. Vexing problem when it appears from nowhere like that, have dealt with white out before on a few occasions and solved it quickly.

There be your problem then, too much moisture. Out of curiosity where have you got the torch set, directly above the scope? Sounds like you either need a moderator cover or a torch bezel extension. I tend to favor the latter. On a really damp night even a neoprene moderator cover can get damp and glisten.

I'll be getting 6 inches off the barrel once I get my arse in gear, that'll solve the problem long term.

It's a double rail ring, so either ring is set 45 degrees off centre, or I can get to the screws to tighten them.

I have another single rail ring which I may try.

On the torch I made a DIY sunshade type arrangement for it out of the lid of a spray pain tin, fit perfectly lol.

I don't like moderator covers, too easy to get lazy about taking them off to oil the mod, then problems will develop.

ive had a similar problem when ive got a lamp attached to the scope ,the rifle i use [22.250] has a stainless barrel and i cant see a bloody thing with the reflection of the barrel or the reflection of the mod cover ? its all-most like the eye re leaf isn't right ?

have got around it by using a camo cloth sleeve over the barrel and mod like you would use on a shotgun when pigeon shooting

Archived