A short Irish tour

gyr

Hello everyone.

As I had some business around Cork by the end of September, I was able to convince my wife that the possibility to go on a hunt with Ejg223 AKA Edi was just a coincidence.

I left Spain worried about the mud and rain I was supposed to find, but there was no rain when the plane landed at night and all worries disappeared after a hearty dinner and a nice glass of Jameson.

My hunting day started sunny which was great for me, but I guess being unusual for the sikas we were after they decided to stay hidden. After some hours of stalking a very nice country we had only managed to see a stag from far away with no chance to shoot. No problem at all as the weather was fine and the light stocked PSE rifle a pleasure to carry. Luckily Edi spotted one at the end of the morning and the little 308 allowed us to collect if not the finest trophy, the finest deer meat I would have tasted. I was surprised to see how tough this medium deer are, he managed to run a good 40 m with a bullet that had gone through heart and lungs. Shot was taken from a sitting position as we were a little higher above the deer and there was no rest available, bipod was not high enough and there wasnt much time to lose as that guy was quickly getting nervous.

IMG_1615.jpg

Next day the weather went back to normal and we went out in lashing rain.. a good experience but sunny weather is better¡¡ As the morning went away, so did the rain and we hunted a lowland area below some small hills. It appeared as a nice meadowy place but I soon learned that all that rain had to go somewhere, and there it was, water right up to my groin. I did not have to swim but it would have been the case had I tripped or fallen. I saw a spike that ran like a ghost never to be found again.

So my deer hunt ended up with one stag.. part of which came back home with me and ended up serving a great dinner for the family... It was so good that my wife decided she would fund a further hunting trip ¡¡ I thought I would never hear that in my whole life.

My litte tour was completed with a walk around the fields to see if we could find some varmint. It was just a quick outing, called fox but nothing appeared. However, following Edi´s wind calls I managed a first hit at 400yds on a pigeon.

Imagen2.jpg

This PSE stocks are really comfortable to shoot. First time using one of these varmint ones ( well, it was the second time if we consider the deer although it was a different rifle) but it did feel great.

Imagen3.jpg

I missed a grey crow at 385... wrong wind call by myself... but just by a couple of inches.

Later that day I was able to see PSE´s workshop and was amazed at the quality material and manufacture these guys put in their stocks. I am not an engineer but I do know a little about composites. I seriously doubt that any of the older stock making companies can yield such quality. Each PSE stock is a special one off. I can´t reveal some industrial secrets I saw around but they ensured that my Etac is something special.

I really liked the country, the people, the food and the beer.. so I am positively going back ¡¡

I am not sure if this topic is rightly placed. Deer are not varmint but grey crows sure are¡

It was an absolute pleasure to have Gyr over, my family and I really enjoyed his company.

Great shooting too from Gyr, the Sika wasn't easy to shoot as it had copped on that

something wasn't right, we were standing in the open, middle of a mud puddle with nowhere to go.

Only option being a sitting shot. Perfect shot placement.

Most astonishing was the pigeon dropped on the first shot Gyr ever fired out of my little 223.

(Wind call was a fluke)

Gyr,

hope to see you before the end of the season...

edi

Archived