Can animals see laser designator beams??

29 members have voted

1. 1. Can animals see laser designator beams??

• Yes
    • No

This is it, the 30mm one:

http://ant-supplies.co.uk/Pages/ScopeTubeAccessoryRails.aspx

But it is tight, I've another coming from the USA and I'll try that for fit when it arrives.

Though No Bull provided a link on the BBS to this mount:

http://www.inovatech.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=98&cat=9&page=1

• 5 months later...

I am not convinced any mammalian eye can "see" Near Infra Red (just to be clear what we are talking about here.

there is plenty of scientific evidence for UV in animals, birds, insects and IR in snakes but I am not convinced they can actually detect 800+ range usually present in IR illumination.

What is often visible even to the human eye is the concentrated light emitted from the lens.

Even i can spot this when I see my mate scanning with a cheap digi IR fed monocular

to do a proper scientific survey you would have to exclude the chance that the subject has not heard or smelt you and can not see the red dot atthe end of your NV

almost impossible in a hunting situation

I don't know but...I have found it seems to depend on the power of the IR.

A NM800 with the extra battery seems to spook foxes quite often. Drop the power to a single battery and they tend to ignore it. It might just be that the glow from the source is dimmer so seems further away to a fox and is treated as no threat. The extra battery on the NM gives an extra 30% power and that seems enough to tip the balance for Charlie. It might just be my imagination but I think I can see with my naked eye, a red tint about twenty meters out in front me when I turn the torch on with the extra battery.

ATB

Not proof a fox can see IR but I have a NM800 which so far I have only seen one fox while using. walking the dog with the NM800 and old russian night vision I had a fox come over the brow into view, only to turn on its heel and go back the way it came. the reaction was similar to a lamp shy fox but not quite as hurried. I can't say its proof as I'm not 100% sure wind didn't play a part. I can say owl's don't like it.

Archived