Amount of meat

Here's a question fella's

How much meat is actually on a carcass? I know it depends on the size of the beasty but's let say from a live weight of 100lbs, when you have removed the gralloch (incl head & feet) what does it weigh in at then;

When you have skinned it, what does it weigh in at then;

when you have boned it all out what is the amount of meat you have left?

Does anyone know or know where to get the answer?

Or am I a sad blancmange with too much thinkin time on my hands and I need to get out more?

Yes I think the last one! :angry::huh:

No seriously I have heard it said before about farm animals in %. I can't remember the figures but I think it was something like 40% of live weight.

Not much help I'm afraid but hope someone else is more specific.

Depends how well you butcher it, Generally on roe I have found ( because they have a light bone structure) that I get around 60-70 % of the carcase weight with head, feet and skin off, in other words bone and waste accout for around 30% ish. Muntjac are similar, havent done the weighing on the bigger species, remember the meat / carcase will also lose weight from moisture loss too.

Redfox

Eldon

Cheers mate! :angry::huh:

RedF

Appreciate we can only talk %'s but I was told the head, feet & Gralloch contributed approx 30 - 40% of live weight. Pelt about 20%

Therefore meat & bones equated to approx 50% live weight but I got no real data on the weight of the skeleton. I appreciate all the other factors you have highlight but I'm only after reasonably/rough figures to start with.

OA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can only speak of fallow but, from hanging on the hook (head legs skin etc off) the loss in bone weight was around 20%.

As someone already said, deer are slender boned animals, unlike cattle.

Archived