Accurate Primer Scan

maxxis35

Hi Gents just need a few questions answering here, first off i'm not new to shooting, and have never had problems getting them to shoot until now.

I have a 223 Remington PSS, 3.5.10x40 MK4 Leupold scope on TPS rings and Ken Farrell 20 MOA base, brass in Winchester, trimmed and sized correctly with flash holes deburred. I have loaded some rounds with the same weight of BLC2 powder with five different brands of primer.

I keep getting a flier in the group, hence primer scan, so in order to conduct this accurately would you bag the rifle rather than bipod and bunny ear bag up rear, also would it be prudent to send off a round first to foul the barrel. lastly in order to maintain accurate readings should i clean the rifle mid way through the scan or leave it, all primers are good brands including the RWS ones that have manifested this first post of mine.

Hi Gents just need a few questions answering here, first off i'm not new to shooting, and have never had problems getting them to shoot until now.

I have a 223 Remington PSS, 3.5.10x40 MK4 Leupold scope on TPS rings and Ken Farrell 20 MOA base, brass in Winchester, trimmed and sized correctly with flash holes deburred. I have loaded some rounds with the same weight of BLC2 powder with five different brands of primer.

I keep getting a flier in the group, hence primer scan, so in order to conduct this accurately would you bag the rifle rather than bipod and bunny ear bag up rear, also would it be prudent to send off a round first to foul the barrel. lastly in order to maintain accurate readings should i clean the rifle mid way through the scan or leave it, all primers are good brands including the RWS ones that have manifested this first post of mine.

Have you tried a different make of brass/ powder

Maxxis35.

First off does you rifle like to be a 'shot in' i.e. after cleaning, does it take a few rounds to settle down? If so shoot a few rounds before doing any load/primer testing.

Check the normal things - especially action screws.

Then shoot your tests in a 'round Robin' method. i.e. if you have 5 rounds of each primer then you will be firing 25 rounds total.

Put up 5 'dots' in a row plus a dot off to one side. Fire a couple of rounds of any old load at the dot off to one side (takes the edge off the cold barrel) then in turn fire one round of load #1 at target 1, then one round of load #2 at target 2 etc. with a bit of a pause between each shot.

That way barrel temp and fouling is dispersed across all 25 rounds and eliminated from any possible errors.

Also how many rounds does your rifle fire before accuracy goes 'South'? Don't clean the snot out of the gun unnecessarily.

Brgds Terry

Maxxis35.

First off does you rifle like to be a 'shot in' i.e. after cleaning, does it take a few rounds to settle down? If so shoot a few rounds before doing any load/primer testing.

Check the normal things - especially action screws.

Then shoot your tests in a 'round Robin' method. i.e. if you have 5 rounds of each primer then you will be firing 25 rounds total.

Put up 5 'dots' in a row plus a dot off to one side. Fire a couple of rounds of any old load at the dot off to one side (takes the edge off the cold barrel) then in turn fire one round of load #1 at target 1, then one round of load #2 at target 2 etc. with a bit of a pause between each shot.

That way barrel temp and fouling is dispersed across all 25 rounds and eliminated from any possible errors.

Also how many rounds does your rifle fire before accuracy goes 'South'? Don't clean the snot out of the gun unnecessarily.

Brgds Terry

Hi Terry not sure about how many rounds it takes before accuracy fails, all i can say that it must be more than 25 or 30 as the groups inc the flier where the same, i will send a mil spec round up the spout to kick thing off, and may just get a little of the snotout but leave it mostly fouled. Nice to hear you are a black powder man, i have a 45.110 Shiloh Quigley and .451 Gibbs ML.

Search for OCW on the web Optimum Charge Weight. Do as he states and you will be surprised that I am sure of. You can even download his target and use that I am glad I did saves a lot of fafin about and shows what does and doesn't work.

+1

Search for OCW on the web Optimum Charge Weight. Do as he states and you will be surprised that I am sure of. You can even download his target and use that I am glad I did saves a lot of fafin about and shows what does and doesn't work.

Did the scan Saturday and found the best results (round group) from the Remington 7 1/2 primers, Federal look promising also, just with more tinkering. Rems gave me sub inch group.

Archived