hi guys just a quick one to say how its going with the tikka fatboy bauldie built for me.

1tikkafatboy.jpg

i'm still learning when it comes to reloading but so far i'm over the moon with how its going.first i tried 75 amax

100_2509.jpg

grouped nice at 100 but with n140 opened up at longer ranges so rather than start messing with powders i tried the 73 grn ltbt berger bullets (the berger bullets worked well in my .204)and varget.first i tried a few different powder charges.

100_2510.jpg

the initial 4 loads gave me this so i went with 24.5 grains and shot a few more.i must stress the brass was lapua straight out of the box not weight sorted or prepped in any way.i have since neck turned them and was suprised how uneven the necks were.first a re test at 100,

100_2512.jpg

the grass was quite high sothe harris bi pod was maxed at 13" and a rear bag.shooting at this hight i felt the limit in accuracy was me.

then 200 yds

100_2513.jpg

the flyer could have well been me or my re loading (lack of brass prep) but all were on a rabbits head at 200 so far so good.

then 300 yds

100_2514.jpg

the group was .84 and still on a rabbits head.i stood in the field nursing a semi as i have never shot a group like that before and it was great,for the first time ever i felt like i was holding the accuracy back.it goes without saying it was a still day but it felt great.

i now needed a load for varminting and whilst in norman clarkes i spotted the 55 grn barnes varmint grenades dispite being told these bullets won't group well i had a play.i looked in my 223 book and nosler do a 55 grn bullet and there accurate load was 25.5 of benchmark so i started there as i had a bit on the shelf.

100_2516.jpg

three bullets touching,that was all i had loaded that day but have been using them as a 200 yrd bunny bashing load and they shoot about .60 at 200.the best of it is i havn't realy done much load work no matter what i try i get good groups.i'm going to go and have a play with the 75 amax again and perhaps some varget.

taking the rifle to diggle tomorrow for my first ever meet.i have never shot at 500 yds and wind is my weakness so by the sounds of it i'll have the mick taken.hope to meet some of you guys there.

atb mike

Mike that's a sexy stick. I'm glad your enjoying it! Those groups are impressive! If you want to see the True potential accuracy though I'd suggest booking a few hours at Carlton moor tunnel as I was amazed at how far my zero was out from what was seemingly a dead calm day at bisley! Was around 1.75" to the left.

Archived