.223 Ammo

MakeSureAll

Evening All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong Forum, but here goes!

After acquiring a new rifle- .223 Remmy 700 SPS Tactical, 1:9 twist, with standard non-adjustable trig (at moment!), it was now time to hunt down its preferred bullet!

I've tried everything:

PPU Match 69grn & 55grn.

American Eagle 55grn FMJ.

Fiocchi 50grn.

Federal (various grns!).

To name but a few!

I was in my local RFD the other day and they had some cheap RWS 55grn ammo (£14.00 for 30rds!).

Thought what did I have to loose, and for some reason the grouping was the best so far (1 MOA).

I'll be getting into handloading soon to further refine the perfect round for my rifle, and I know people say finding the "Of the shelf" perfect round for your rifle is a stange experience, but I was a little shocked that this very cheap round has beaten all others!

this is certainly the right forum ,and its surprising that some times the cheaper ammo can be the better ammo in some rifles

it doesnt always work out liuke that but its nice when it does

Evening All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong Forum, but here goes!

After acquiring a new rifle- .223 Remmy 700 SPS Tactical, 1:9 twist, with standard non-adjustable trig (at moment!), it was now time to hunt down its preferred bullet!

I've tried everything:

PPU Match 69grn & 55grn.

American Eagle 55grn FMJ.

Fiocchi 50grn.

Federal (various grns!).

To name but a few!

I was in my local RFD the other day and they had some cheap RWS 55grn ammo (£14.00 for 30rds!).

Thought what did I have to loose, and for some reason the grouping was the best so far (1 MOA).

I'll be getting into handloading soon to further refine the perfect round for my rifle, and I know people say finding the "Of the shelf" perfect round for your rifle is a stange experience, but I was a little shocked that this very cheap round has beaten all others!

Rick,

This is a path we have all been down,and you have done the right things so far.All preloads are not equal,nor-you wil find-are all reloads.Premium match ammunition will be a lot more than £47 per hundred.1 moa is not bad.You might reasoanbly aim to half that in a good R700.A good rest,reasonably fine cross hair-and magnification- are very helpful,and you are already thinking of a trigger-get you reload sorted first.

Prices seem to be every increasing but 'last week' you might expect a quality bullet to cost 18.5 p,primer 3.5p,and powder about 10p shot-say about £30/1oo.Reload performance should not be any worse,and sooner or later will be better.I haven't included brass,as you have some-though variable.It's a start.

Reloading initial outlay can vary-it helps if you either just don't have a big budget-or do!,or you are sure you want really good results,or won't be loading large numbers. And what your use will be.All that may change!

You will need a good beam scale (£75-100)-everyone needs this,forever,so get a good one,and you won't regret it.Electronic?-not yet,if ever-you might still want the reassurance of seeing the beam confirm!Powder measure is very useful,not absolutely essential-you can trickle powder into the beam pan,but it's slower,if consistent.A reasonable measure will be £75,you don't need a £250 Harrell.Trust/adjust on the beam!

You need dies-basic screw in dies wil be £50,and top-Competition screw ins are £200,and a basic frame press about£75.

OR: you can go hand dies/arbor press-Sinclair eg do a kit for £200,and these will be BR quality,but slower. Quality dies are just more consistent,and good for your confidence/mind set.

'Slower' is relative- Two hours rather than one for 50,about.

You may in time want-even need-more stuff- OAL guage is in the £40 range,and good micrometer becomes essential- eg if you feel seating depth needs fine tuning.Here a £50 micro seater add on is very useful.

Cheaper than golf-and you should be able to hit golf balls at 100y soon-don't look for the remains!

george

Archived