Hi Guys,my old black and decker workmate bench has been getting too wobbly to shoot on for some time now and I decided to build a more rigid portable rig.This is how it all ended up.I drew up the design of the metal bits and had my local engineering shop to make them.It wasn,t cheap but should last forever.The only remaining thing to do is to make up some adjustable leg inserts to adjust for uneven ground, give her legs a rub down and some paint .The whole thing is quite heavy but adds to stability but disassembly is quick and easy and takes up very little room in the back of the frontera.I.m really pleased the way it turned out and can,t wait to set up out in the field for some testing and a stable rest for one of them long shots!!!Hey Varminter,Varmartin dig the carpet and georgian windows in the new shed!you,ll just have to come round for afternoon tea! cheers onehole. IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Guest varmartin

Onehole,

did you get the threads taper cut? so when screwed in all the slack is taken out?

Looks pretty stable. A coat of Cornish tartan paint and Yul be right on ;)

Martin

Looking good onehole ;) ;) Shall look forward to us all lining our benches up for some long range varminting!!! :o:P

All the best...................

RAY........................ :P:D

Onehole,

that bench looks great, would you mind posting the dimensions of the metal work, e.g angles, materials required.... what thread to get cut. I made a black and decker bench too, looks the part but really don't think it will take any sort of abuse unlike your latest creation. Pm me if you prefer.

Thanks

Dave.

I,ll make a copy of the drawing I gave to my engineering friend,it should have all the detail you need on that but give me a couple of days to do it as I,m working over the next two days/nights and don,t have plans to hand at moment they are at my partners address.Will do soon as I can.regards onehole.

Precision woodworking at its best:

DSC00206.jpg

6 years of hard use and wobble free :lol:

Hi Guys some of you wanted specs of my shooting bench,well here goes,

Legs---29 inches total length including the screw cutting of 1 inch of an end at appx 10/11 tpi and taper cut to take up wear and tear over time.

Leg material is decribed by my engineer as 1 and a half inch NB pipe with an o/s diam of 48mm.

Sockets---these are 1 and a half BSP sockets and cut to an angle of 15 degrees before clamping to the 6mm plates for welding.Sockets can be about

1 and a half to 2 inches in length and would be prethreaded of course.Take care to weld sockets in right direction as two of them must face the corners of the plates and the other one must face 90 degrees to an edge as that one will be for the rear leg.

Plates----my plates measured 127x127x6m thick drilled each corner with 10m hole to accept the 10m bolts.

Bench top---- I used 25m mdf and additionally some wooden boarding to provide additional stiffness and height but ideally 25 proper marine ply would have been better and will change to this in due course if only to make weather proof.mdf dont like getting wet,not that mine will but if you want to leave your bench out then it wont last long.

All this makes for a very sturdy portable bench and all I have to do now is work out a finishing insert for the legs to provide either more height or adjustment to make up for sloping/uneven ground.Not worked that one out yet but will post if I up with a brain wave!!!!cheers IMG_0007.jpgguys. onehole.

• 7 months later...

Onehole

That bench looks very similar to the one I am in the middle of building. I got the plans from this link :http://www.larrywillis.com/shootingbench.html

Just getting the legs sorted. Merry Christmas all.

Archived