Advice Please Fox Calibre

spitfire

Hi all,

i am in need for some advice... here goes.. i have permission to shoot fox on a local golf course, i have a slot on my fac for a 243 for deer and fox but already have a 308 for the deer. i am considering putting in for a variation to change the 243 to a 223 would consider another calibre say 204, 222, my reason is that, i will be lamping, there are somes houses around the course so i want it to be as quite as possible, range around the 100 to 150m. what do you think.

thank you ian <_<

22 hornet might be a perfect option at those sort of ranges and it will moderate quite well, a friend has one with a t4 reflex and it is quite civilised, does a good job on the foxes out to 200 yards he reckons. He just shoots priv ammo or sellior bellot stuff in it, usualy holds an inch or so at 100 yards, I am sure it could do better with a little home loading though.

Not very scientific, I know, but my 17 Rem's moderate better than my 222's in my opinion. Whether it's down to the smaller diameter bullet or some other factor, I don't know. What I do know is that if noise is a factor, the 17's come out. Maybe the 204 would be a good choice for the same reason?

17 or 204 would be good choices if the place is close to housing, not only do they moderate well but much less chance of a bullet arriving somewhere not wanted, I use a 17 rem ( actually unmoderated) for these reasons myself and it has done very well for me there is of course the 17 Mach IV as well.

Redfox

The Hornet is ok but cases are variable loads are very light and it is not as good as the other rounds such as 222, but the ammo costs the same or more if you are buying it. Bullets that expand reliably are few for the Hornet too.

The rem fireball is the hornet case necked down and works well but ammo is expensive and limited again.

To buy ammo , go for the 17mach 4, 204, or 222 in no particular order.

Redfox

Hi there I have many different calibres and have just got into a 204 ruger with an overbarrel stainless steelmoderator and I must say its quiet and is very very effective on all vermin and up to now have done charlies at 285yrds and they dont move. ;)

I have had a .204 ruger and it was very good on the foxes, I cant really say it was all that quiet but then I was only using a very short pes moderator but compared to a mates .223 with a T4 on mine was definatley louder. I am now shooting a tac20 which is a necked down .223 case to use .20 cal bullets, i am using the same mod as on the .204 ruger and with full loads it just as loud. I have however been experimenting with reduced loads its early days with reduced loads, I have only had one session testing them and I can hardly get out to test these days because of the weather, I have had it down as far as 3500 fps with the 32g v-max and H BL-C(2) without problems and resonable extreme spread of under 50 fps, which considering how low the case is filled isnt too bad and more than adequete for 300 yard work. I still need more time testing these before I would like to commit and say it works well but accuracy is very good for 5 shots well under half inch. For comparision my full loads will push as far as 4100 fps and expected accuracy from it is at worst .3 of an inch for 5 shots and at best it can go under .2 of an inch for 5 shots, so with the 600 fps drop there is slight accuracy loss but its still very good and I am sure the 32g v-max will still be very potent on the foxes as at full powder they are dynamite on them, the furthest I have taken a fox with full power loads in the .204 ruger is 310 yards I havent had the chance to shoot a fox that far with the tac20, though the tac20 has matched the velocity I was getting with handloads for the .204 ruger so it should perfom just the same. I also need to get soemone out on the range with me to listen for the sound difference I cant hear much difference myself usually I am that focused on the target and trigger I dont hear much else going on. If it works out that thre aint much difference then I would abandone the whole notion of downloading it but it is definatley doable. The reason I started to try was I have a shoot behind a housing estate and every time I fired a shot you would see the lights come on in the houses so I am just trying to make things a bit quieter, though I should also try a bigger mod to really make it work. If youre a handloader downloading could be an option maybe even in youre current .243 but dont just go ahead and start working up light loads it can be just as dangerous putting too little powder in a case as too much, I have heard of a guy in the states who makes coyotes hunting dvd's downloading a .243 as he was using a rifle mounted camera and needed to reduce recoil to see the hits etc. As I say if you do go this route do alot of reasearch into before you start as and make sure its safe to do it. Failing that if you want to use factory ammo I still reckon the .22 hornet is your best

if handloading you have a lot more options, like as someone already said the 17ah.

You might also want to check with the local Police Force. I was in a similar position about 15 years ago on a golf course, shooting quite a few rabbits with a rimmy and an odd charlie usually also with the rimmy when I found out by accident that the ground itself was restricted to 'rimfire' use due to local houses and lots of footpaths threading through the course.

A

Spitfire, I have a 222 for sale, would include mounts, dies, cases and recipes leaving you to just supply the scope. It has been screwcut for mod.

PM me if interested.

Yes that will get em out of bed Vim, I slightly down load the 222 with 21 grs of powder noise goes down accuracy better and it still bowls em over up to 200yds, I can clearly hear the impact on the fox too, my 22-250 seriously knocks em down but you never hear the hit and it rattles the windows nicely a fair way off :o

It would be a bit overkill on the golf course too.

Redfox

If you are on an "open" ticket its up to you where you shoot :o

Thats what I would have thought as well, I was on an open ticket so all should have been well. It was only when the secretary was killed skieng that it came to light through the new man. It had been agreed many years before between the club who owned the site and the Police who had somehow become concearned maybe alerted by a walker on on eof teh many footpaths in the area. Nobody had thought to tell me.

A

hi there i use .222 with home loaded 21.5grn loads and a 46gr speer flat hollow point and a t8 can and out to 200 yards its dose everything i want it to do with just as much noise as a moded 17hmr good shot placment and charlie never bats an eye lid and if you have other land to shot over where the noise factor is not much of a problem up the round to a 50grn v max then watch them drop :rolleyes:

Archived