Peeling 'em off!

deeksofdoom

Was up early this morning, itching to go out for a shot.

I tried a place that I have been trying to thin out the foxes but no joy. getting back into the car i spied a freshly cut silage field I thought to myself if they were going to be anywhere they'ld be in that and sure enough when i glassed the field there was a fox in the corner of it. You can see the field in the dead centre of the photo the fox was in the top left hand corner.

2012-06-24-316.jpg

Off I went, on passing the gate there was more than one fox, they were bowling around all over the field. I pulled up beyond the gate and crept into the field, they were too busy to take any notice of me. I lay down in the long grass at the end of the silage field needless to say the place was soaked and I was down at the bottom of the slope which made it even wetter.

I watched them playing for a while and tried to call on the WAM but they just were too busy. I watched them for a while trying to figure out who were the adults. Anyway managed the first shot and knocked one of the cubs then a big dog fox bowled down the field towards me and I flattened him, the vixen followed the dog and down she went and finally the last 2 cubs, unfortunately the last 2 cubs and the vixen didn't die instanteosly and required second shots, I was using 55grain V-max and was shooting at close to 200m, I have the rifle zeroed an inch high at 100m.

2012-06-24-317.jpg

Good going, great when it all comes together like that the whole family sorted in a matter of minutes. What cal you using? Only every had one get up after a 55 grn v-max in the chest from the .22/250 keep up the good work :)

• 1 year later...

Was up early this morning, itching to go out for a shot.

I tried a place that I have been trying to thin out the foxes but no joy. getting back into the car i spied a freshly cut silage field I thought to myself if they were going to be anywhere they'ld be in that and sure enough when i glassed the field there was a fox in the corner of it. You can see the field in the dead centre of the photo the fox was in the top left hand corner.

2012-06-24-316.jpg

Off I went, on passing the gate there was more than one fox, they were bowling around all over the field. I pulled up beyond the gate and crept into the field, they were too busy to take any notice of me. I lay down in the long grass at the end of the silage field needless to say the place was soaked and I was down at the bottom of the slope which made it even wetter.

I watched them playing for a while and tried to call on the WAM but they just were too busy. I watched them for a while trying to figure out who were the adults. Anyway managed the first shot and knocked one of the cubs then a big dog fox bowled down the field towards me and I flattened him, the vixen followed the dog and down she went and finally the last 2 cubs, unfortunately the last 2 cubs and the vixen didn't die instanteosly and required second shots, I was using 55grain V-max and was shooting at close to 200m, I have the rifle zeroed an inch high at 100m.

2012-06-24-317.jpg

How many rounds do you get from that mag? I bet your glad you took more than the average mag load for the morning :D. 7 rounds in total by the looks of the scenario?

Great result.

Archived