Thoughts on the .223 WSSM

I'm just after peoples thoughts on the .223 WSSM. As i see it the pro's are it's velocity and terminal energy, plus it will shoot the heavier bullets and rifles seem to be cheap by comparison.

The cons i see are:

1. lmited availability of brass,(unless someone can tell me different).

2. It could be harsh on barrels though according to wiki Browning dispute this fact.

3. Re sale value of rifles seems to be crap bering in mind there's a nice looking one for £375 on guntrader which is as good as new!!

If anyone has ever owned/does own one i'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Cheers,

Willy

I'm just after peoples thoughts on the .223 WSSM. As i see it the pro's are it's velocity and terminal energy, plus it will shoot the heavier bullets and rifles seem to be cheap by comparison.

The cons i see are:

1. lmited availability of brass,(unless someone can tell me different).

2. It could be harsh on barrels though according to wiki Browning dispute this fact.

3. Re sale value of rifles seems to be crap bering in mind there's a nice looking one for £375 on guntrader which is as good as new!!

If anyone has ever owned/does own one i'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Cheers,

Willy

what are you wanting to shoot with it and how far mate, would it not be better going for a .22-250? The .223 WSSM seems abit of a wired cartridge, but a modified version of someithing perfect. The .223. Like you say components may be a little hard to get hold of....i dont know, if your wanting something fast abd your olny shooting vermin and foxs go for a .22-250 or a .20 cal, both shoot fast flat and hit hard. I dont think the .223WSSM would be a bad performer but like you say it may sufffer from some issues.

Steve.

if you want something different .223 AI a fantastic little round with heavy bullets in the hyper velocity range although the straight .223 is a very good choice and a better choce than the wssm version imho

Aye, thanks fellas, I just found it interesting and tempting with the relatively cheap rifles. .223 it will be I think. Cheers all :)

Save up mate and buy a Tikka T3 lite secondhand. They hold there money so youll never really loose anything on it and the quality is great for the price!

What are you wanting the rifle for ? Fox,vermin, deer??

Steve.

What are you wanting the rifle for ? Fox,vermin, deer??

Steve.

Fox and vermin Steve. The deer on my permissions are all roe and the farmers don't want them shot at the minute anyway :blush:

Fox and vermin Steve. The deer on my permissions are all roe and the farmers don't want them shot at the minute anyway :blush:

Have you concidered a .20 cal, check out them ballistics, flatter and better in the wind,faster then .223,hits just as hard if not harder as well.

Talking from experience, then .204 is better as a fox and vermin gun in my opinion.

Just keeping your options open mate.

Steve.

Have you concidered a .20 cal, check out them ballistics, flatter and better in the wind,faster then .223,hits just as hard if not harder as well.

Talking from experience, then .204 is better as a fox and vermin gun in my opinion.

Just keeping your options open mate.

Steve.

Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking again. Oh god, decisiions, decisions :wub:

Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking again. Oh god, decisiions, decisions :wub:

It was not to confuse you it was just another option that I think would suit you needs. If your going to reload then i think .204 or a .20 is the way forward.

Steve.

It was not to confuse you it was just another option that I think would suit you needs. If your going to reload then i think .204 or a .20 is the way forward.

Steve.

I do already reload for my .22H so either a .223 or .204 wouldn't be overly difficult to reload for. The thing that i like about .223 is that there are plenty of secondhand rifles. There seem to be less .204's secondhand. Budget is a big part of my shooting, i simply can't afford to spend oodles of cash on things so i have to be frugal where i can. Deer aren't a problem/on my hit list at the moment so a .20 cal does appeal to me, especially reading the glowing feedback of others in respect of the .204R. I guess i'll just keep saving and see what i fell like nearer the time. Thanks for the advice Steve,

Willy.

I'm just after peoples thoughts on the .223 WSSM.

I would not bother myself, would look at 22-250,220swift,or the 20 cals or 243 with 58g !

The thing that i like about .223 is that there are plenty of secondhand rifles. There seem to be less .204's secondhand.

Thanks for the advice Steve,

Willy.

That is because people are flogging their .223's to get .204's !lol

No probs Willy, just trying to be of some help.

ATB

Steve.

Steve.

Just to be awkward I take a different view. ;)

The way I see it is that not many RFD hold stocks of 20 cals on the shelf. True they will get them to order but the twenty is a niche calibre with little mass appeal. Why spend capital on stock that has a relatively small customer base?

We have done this “204R is the next coming” to death on a previous thread. All I will say is the numbers’ do not match the hyperbole and the 223 will beat the 20 on wind drift and delivered energy at all ranges with heavy bullets. It was demonstrated on that thread and the numbers don’t lie.

Another reason why there is a lack of 20’s is that people are holding on to their kit because there is little spare cash floating around these days. Unsurprisingly they are loath to give their stuff away. My 204R is sitting at an RFD for sale with no uptake and has done so for around 9 months from memory. I had two people interested but the variation time put them off. I can’t say I blame them. I am now seriously considering re-barrelling to a short barrelled 223 and using it with a dedicated NV for foxing.

I’ve used the 223 for lamping since I switched from the 204R. I used my standard long range load. I use a 75gn vld zeroed at 190m. I was prepared to switch to a lighter bullet if the drop was problematic and to be truthful I thought it might be. I even worked up a light Ballistic Tip load for that very purpose. I needn’t have bothered. A heavy 75vld kills with a centre chest hold from point blank to max lamp range. I.e. it’s still point and shoot in the only situation that I really need it…just like a 20.

ATB

Just to be awkward I take a different view. ;)

The way I see it is that not many RFD hold stocks of 20 cals on the shelf. True they will get them to order but the twenty is a niche calibre with little mass appeal. Why spend capital on stock that has a relatively small customer base?

We have done this “204R is the next coming” to death on a previous thread. All I will say is the numbers’ do not match the hyperbole and the 223 will beat the 20 on wind drift and delivered energy at all ranges with heavy bullets. It was demonstrated on that thread and the numbers don’t lie.

Another reason why there is a lack of 20’s is that people are holding on to their kit because there is little spare cash floating around these days. Unsurprisingly they are loath to give their stuff away. My 204R is sitting at an RFD for sale with no uptake and has done so for around 9 months from memory. I had two people interested but the variation time put them off. I can’t say I blame them. I am now seriously considering re-barrelling to a short barrelled 223 and using it with a dedicated NV for foxing.

I’ve used the 223 for lamping since I switched from the 204R. I used my standard long range load. I use a 75gn vld zeroed at 190m. I was prepared to switch to a lighter bullet if the drop was problematic and to be truthful I thought it might be. I even worked up a light Ballistic Tip load for that very purpose. I needn’t have bothered. A heavy 75vld kills with a centre chest hold from point blank to max lamp range. I.e. it’s still point and shoot in the only situation that I really need it…just like a 20.

ATB

Thanks for that excellent post. Very interesting reading and a well argued point. I was thinking of a 1 in 12 barrel as opposed to 1 in 8 and usiing the 55grn vmax. It is rare that I need to go beyond 200yds.

If 200m is your requirement a 20 cal would do just fine with a 40gn bullet

IMO the 223Rem is a world away only when you get into the 70gn territory for ranges beyond the comfort zone of the 204R etc.

I switched after 5yrs or so with the 204R, primarily because at ranges beyond 300m or so things got iffy with the tiny 20 cal bullets and varmint shooting at long range in the UK tends to be one chance one shot in variable wind.

Get either and enjoy.

ATB.

If ur only shooting 200 yards then any of these calibres will suffice.

223 is more versatile and you have a vast selection of new and second hand rifle choices. Wider ammunition selection than a 204.

Better barrel life.

My personal opinion a 223 is the cal for you.

If ur only shooting 200 yards then any of these calibres will suffice.

223 is more versatile and you have a vast selection of new and second hand rifle choices. Wider ammunition selection than a 204.

Better barrel life.

My personal opinion a 223 is the cal for you.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Having that deeply about outlay price, availability of rifles and ammo component parts, variation waiting times

Etc etc I think .223 would suit me best. I'd stick with a lightweight 12 twist barrel as all my shooting is carried out on foot. Thanks all,

Willy :)

Archived