AI AW vs AX

Dan534

I’m about to order an new AI in .308 to replace AE Mk3 at moment so used to the stock and feel.

Was pretty set on ordering a speced up AW with the AX trigger, picattinny rail, folding stock and new pistol grip panels.

However I'm having second thoughts as a friend has pointed out the AX has all those 'optional extras' features as standard plus an adjustable but pad, so works out quite a bit cheaper.

I’ve always had reservations about the aesthetics of the AX thinking it looked like an 'overpriced pressure washer lance' but having thought about it- it was designed from the ground up that way for a reason like all of AI products and I think I'm correct in thinking the AW was viewed in the same suspicious way when it was introduced? Has anyone on here owned or shot both out of comparison. Even if you haven’t opinions are always welcome, I appreciate the AX is designed with night optics and gucci accessories use in mind. How do people find the AX in general? and its stock from a positional shooting and weight POV?

Regards Dan.

Dan, had a chance to wave one about fairly recently; much much nicer i the flesh than I'd expected from looking at pics.

If they had it available l/h I would have changed my order to AX.

That's what I'm calling the trigger shoe; that's the only difference between the AW and AX triggers.

Interesting. I thought it was some new all singing all dancing unit. Or so they would have you believe. ^_^

I have AW , AWM & an AX338 , I see reason in the AX338 , as the action is different than the AWM , ALOT different , RE AW 308 & AX 308 , they both use the same action , they donot use the sane magazine , the AX rocks into place , ala FN FAL / AK , it does not slide in , like the AW 308 .

I strongly advise you actually play with BOTH in person , before you mkae your choice , then ITs at least a more informed opinion .

Later Chris

P.S. Also , with a AW , you can use the 16.2 inche suppressed barrel , i donot think that is an option for the AX due to the rail .

Interesting. I thought it was some new all singing all dancing unit. Or so they would have you believe. ^_^

Dan, I think it depends on the question you asked.

I've also heard several people saying how 'different' it feels. (Felt the same to me!) -so I think there's a bit of psychology in there too -wanting to assume its different.

Can you upgrade an AW trigger? No.

Are the internals identical? Yes, less the trigger shoe.

So, 'could' you upgrade an AW trigger by taking out the AW shoe and replacing it with an AX shoe? Technically 'yes' in practice 'no' (as the AX trigger shoe isn't available for that purpose).

Only solution: Swap AW trigger unit complete for AX trigger unit complete

Hi Dan ,

YES , I have both AW models and an AX338 , I have AW in 308 & AWM in 300WM , as well as the sole AX338 , as I said , I got the AX as the action is larger than the AWM action by a fair bit , and has a mag like a scaled UP 10rd AW 308 mag .

I feel the AX has been made with a veiw to using NVG forward of day optic etc , I have no use for that feature , and IF you did , you can get bipod ext to mount that sort of NVG , I like the AW series more in 308 & 300WM , if that makes sense , and the AX in 338LM cal .

Now I know that the triggers are same , same , I will try and get just a std blade ( rather than the shoe design ) for my AX338 .

As I said , I really like the normal std AW design alot , but am not totally closed to NEW stuff , BUT unless you use lasers or NVG , I see little value in the 308 AX rifle , you need to get your self to Graemes and look at both , or shoot someones AI on these forums .

Later Chris

Archived