Whitaker Special Register

A lack of mobility has kept me off the range in the last 6 months; therefore I have turned my attention to my other interest which is the research into "Transitional" target rifles.

In 1968 when Bisley turned its back on .303 as the calibre of choice for TR discipline a number of dealers started to experiment in how best to convert a No.4 to a 7.62mm target rifle.

One of the more interesting conversions was done by Bert Whitaker, an employee of RSAF at Enfield Lock.

Bert simply took a No.4 and machined the rear butt facility off and dropped it into a one piece target stock.

He is recorded in having converted 117 with a serial number block starting from 001 to 089, the other rifles simply have there original No.4 serial numbers. (there are also a small number of converted P17's)

How can you help me?

If you know the existance of one I would be very grateful to recieve the serial number and whether it is still in use. Also any modifications, has the reciever been drilled, if it has been drillled and it's not a No.4T was it done subsequently?

What type of sights is it set up for, Swing or Parker-Hale?

If you are an RFD and have scrapped one, or returned one to it's original specification (in the case of No.4T's :o )then this is also useful information for research and will help to confirm surviving numbers. :)

The register is the basis of a long tern research project I have in mind, hopefully with an article at the end for the HBSA.

Strangely sits back and waits for incoming! B)

Archived