Long range bullets

264wm

Have tried in vain to get my 140vld's to work in my 7mm rem mag!

Got better groups with the rifled slug..

Anyway what other 140gn 7mm bullet do you all reccomend.

Has to be a hunting bullet and have limited myself to 500-600yds max range..

Any info would be appreciated

regards

Griff

Barnes 140 TSX work well in my mates RM and 140 accubond, neither cheap but when the animals he shoots return 130 ish per carcass you dont worry about £1 a bullet..

Have tried in vain to get my 140vld's to work in my 7mm rem mag!

Got better groups with the rifled slug..

Anyway what other 140gn 7mm bullet do you all reccomend.

Has to be a hunting bullet and have limited myself to 500-600yds max range..

Any info would be appreciated

regards

Griff

VLDs can be a little hard to find there sweet spot,have you tried loading them as per Bergers instruction

VLDs can be a little hard to find there sweet spot,have you tried loading them as per Bergers instruction

Sporting rifles,

loaded them as per Berger instructions, touching,10,20,40,80,120 thou off, best group was 1.5", that was after I had done a ladder load in .3gn increments.

I really was hoping that they would shoot but hey ho!

Ronin,

I have not tried the Barnes or the Accubond's how do they perform @ long distance especially being the type of bullet they are?

regards

Griff

Sporting rifles,

loaded them as per Berger instructions, touching,10,20,40,80,120 thou off, best group was 1.5", that was after I had done a ladder load in .3gn increments.

I really was hoping that they would shoot but hey ho!

Ronin,

I have not tried the Barnes or the Accubond's how do they perform @ long distance especially being the type of bullet they are?

regards

Griff

I see,obviously the twist is wrong for the 140s,I use a 7mm wsm and when I had a new tube fiited I had a different twist and that wouldnt group 140s so I now use 154 interbonds and they shoot lovely,I take it out to 500 yards as thats what my Z6i is set up at,I have shot 600 yards at bisley with it to good effect

I see,obviously the twist is wrong for the 140s,I use a 7mm wsm and when I had a new tube fiited I had a different twist and that wouldnt group 140s so I now use 154 interbonds and they shoot lovely,I take it out to 500 yards as thats what my Z6i is set up at,I have shot 600 yards at bisley with it to good effect

SR,

Its a TRG'S' I think its a 1-9.5 twist.

I didn't want to go above 140's as I damaged my shoulder in an accident 3 years ago and I do suffer from recoil a little.

A friend is sending me a multi pack of 10 of each bullet he has and I do know that there is some 154IB's in there, I suppose I can alway download to reduce the recoil.

I have always had great success with 139gn Scenars in my 264 winnie and was hoping to replicate the same performance,but unfortunately Lapua don't make a 7mm bullet.

regards

Griff

SR,

Its a TRG'S' I think its a 1-9.5 twist.

I didn't want to go above 140's as I damaged my shoulder in an accident 3 years ago and I do suffer from recoil a little.

A friend is sending me a multi pack of 10 of each bullet he has and I do know that there is some 154IB's in there, I suppose I can alway download to reduce the recoil.

I have always had great success with 139gn Scenars in my 264 winnie and was hoping to replicate the same performance,but unfortunately Lapua don't make a 7mm bullet.

regards

Griff

if recoil is a problem fit a brake or a can,I use a brake

twist taken from shilens web site,looks like your on the edge with the 140s

7mm/.284

- 8" for all bullets-customer discretion 180 gr. VLD

- 9" for bullets heavier than 140gr.

- 11" for bullets up to 140gr.

- 12" special for high velocity

if i was recoil sensitive i don't think 7mm rem mag would be my first choice ?

what are you shooting ? do you need that kind of oommmph ?

if i was recoil sensitive i don't think 7mm rem mag would be my first choice ?

what are you shooting ? do you need that kind of oommmph ?

The preceived recoil from my 7mm RM is no more than my mates 308!

Shooting reds out to (self limited) 500yds,not because I want to,its because of the topography of the land.

In my humble opinion the 7mmRM is not one of those thunderous canons like an ultramag which is a true mag.

I didn't choose the 7mm RM I chose the rifle (TRG's'),I took a punt and if it didn't shoot then I would have it re-barrelled into a 264 winnie.

I have had 3 264's which have all been re-barreled at border and have shot extremely well.With it being an identical case shooting a similar weight bullet I expected the recoil to be similar, but its not, and yes I do have a can on the end.

regards

Griff

I didn't choose the 7mm RM I chose the rifle (TRG's'),I took a punt and if it didn't shoot then I would have it re-barrelled into a 264 winnie.

I have had 3 264's which have all been re-barreled at border and have shot extremely well.With it being an identical case shooting a similar weight bullet I expected the recoil to be similar, but its not, and yes I do have a can on the end.

regards

Griff

sounds like a great idea, forget wasting bullets and time with the 7mm, come get a nice 264 win again :)

Lee

sounds like a great idea, forget wasting bullets and time with the 7mm, come get a nice 264 win again :)

Lee

Lee,

thankyou for your kind offer, did I read in your post that the Fourth barrel is free!

regards

Neil

Archived