Mauser MO3 in South Africa

mo3

Hi all,

Returned back from the Eastern Cape, second trip had a brilliant time.

Just thought give you a bit of info.

Rifle used a Mauser MO3 in .300 Win Mag, using 180g Sierra Boat Tail soft point whata job these did!!!!

Will start a debate now lads in my honest opinion the Mauser MO3 rifle is the best rifle on the planet bar non, both on paper shooting groups and portability for transport abroad I have 3 custom rifles and this rifle shoots equally as good if not better than custom guns, this is just my opinion.

DSC_0485.jpg

Just a few notes on the game I shot hope you like.

The first outing was for an Oryx (Gemsbok)had a hard hunt up mountains (dont let anyone tell you Africa Hunting easy, its not) out for 5+ hrs we had a 3am start and complete the deal 180yd shot downhill.

DSC_0020.jpg

Same day hunted a Blue Wildebeest this was about 160yd shot

DSC_0030.jpg

Then on next day went out 3am start again for a Mountain Reedbuck out all day hunted all day should have realised a Mountain Reedbuck means what it says going mountain climbing Ha Ha gut busting hunting

DSC_0165.jpg

Next outing went for a Warthog, and did I get one, it was massive my PH said its a Roland Ward gold medal what luck one in a life time opportunity

DSC_0441.jpg

The same day had a late evening stalk after a Steenbok which had eluded me the previous year, all but dark when I took the shot, thank god for my Z6i scope

DSC_0470.jpg

And to conclude my trip finally got a baboon at 429 yards and missed one at 629 yards both range found.

DSC_0503.jpg

Hope you enjoy

I had a fantastic time and look forward to going again

if any of you have the opportunity to experience this grab it with both hand every dedicated hunter/stalker should do it at least once.

my very best regards

Chris

(from where they put the pig on the wall to watch the band go by)

:lol: :lol:

hope pic turned out ok

Chris

Looks like you had a cracking time mate and I've got to agree with you about the MO3. Mine is the most accurate thing I own!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing

Rich

BTW it was my Great Grandad' Billy on the hob' who put "The pig on the wall to watch the band go by" how's that for a bit of Black country history! ;)

Hi MO3 can't comment on the Mauser rifle as never owned one, but certainly can say those animals that you took all looked to be very fine specimens, especially that Warthog!!!

I shot quite a few when I was living in Africa, tough and as hard as nails, more than happy to pay back the complement of being shot!

ATB Bob

Hi,

Nice pictures and trophies. Whilst it is possible to nit pick about specific features on any rifle, it is my opinion that the MO3 is the best production sporting rifle on the market today. For anyone not wanting to go the full custom route but requiring versatility, massive options, take down facility, accuracy and general high quality of manufacture the MO3 is very hard to beat,

Alan

Hi,

Nice pictures and trophies. Whilst it is possible to nit pick about specific features on any rifle, it is my opinion that the MO3 is the best production sporting rifle on the market today. For anyone not wanting to go the full custom route but requiring versatility, massive options, take down facility, accuracy and general high quality of manufacture the MO3 is very hard to beat,

Alan

+1

Dave

Fingers crossed I may get out there to put my 03 through it's paces next year.

Dave

• 6 months later...

I bet you that Jack Russel you had in one pic was a total character!

All eastern cape JR are mental - wild - hilarious and characters.

The Eastern Cape in South Africa is a amazing area - filled with a range or quirky salt of the earth people!

Awesome trip

The Bushpig was awesome - in that tight bush the pucker factor is high when you hear those pigs!

Just had an adjustable stock mod on My 03 and tightened my groups up to .3 of an inch centre to centre at 100m. You cant fault that out of a factory rifle.

Dave

Hi Dave,

glad to hear you are so impressed wih your new stock.

In my opinion it is the best factory rifle on the planet. Engineering quality is as near as you will get to perfect.

I have 2 custom rifles and the MO3 shoots as good if not better than the custom rigs.

MO3 cals I have/barrels 2x 6.5 x 55,1 x 20 inch with can (plain barrel), 1 x sporter barrel with open sights, 1 x 300 win mag match barrel and

1 x 22 x 250, they all shoot tiny groups and the MO3 is so good I am currently in the process of ordering a 2nd MO3 rifle in 375 HH but with some nice

fancy timber.

best regards

Chris

Archived