Scope glass cleaning

shootingcharley

You can use Zippo lighter fuel SPARINGLY.

Do not pour it on. If you do it will run round lens and destroy the bedding or sealing and the lens cement if it is two-piece. Just apply to lens cloth and gently wipe.

Bryan.

The best way is not getting your glass dirty in the first place!

Use a decent set of flipups.

If you do need to clean, use a really soft clean brush to shift the worst then , if you really really really must........ Take some bog roll and fold it into a sousage and tear it in half. Use the torn endto gently wipe with a squirt of clear window cleanerof the glass. DON'T RUB, just wipe the window cleaner off in a circular motion.

Most dirt that gets onto scope glass is dust blown up from the ground by wind. This is extremely abrasive on the delicate surface of your optics and must be removed with the utmost care.

So don't let them get dirty in the first place :-P

Rup

I just spit on an old hanky and rub away

I'm laughing now , all the ideas above are very good but if youve just spent an hour or more stalking into a group of hinds and your cold and wet , there nervous and it's going to get dark soon then it's whatever is to hand so you can see to shoot , simple!

I use the leupold lens pen for general less stressful situations.

That'll be the best way to turn an expensive bit of glass into scrap :-P

For what its worth, i used to let a pot of dryfly floatant evaporate and polish the silicon residue onto the visor of my motorbike helmet. Nothing would stick to it and waterwould just bead away.

I don't think i would want to put that on my glass but if it enabled me to use the scope without rubbing the lenses with grubby old rags every time i took the rifle out, then it might be worth a try?

Archived