Large Primer seating

tonyc

I need a little help please - I was reloading .308 last night on my Lee kit when the primers (large) stopped going in the case smoothly, then stopped completely. I checked the tool seating but cannot see any problem but the primer will not sit properly - it sticks out about 1mm and will not go into the cartridge. Questions

1. is the primer inserting tool knackered and beyond repair?

2. where do I get another one, or

3. is an independent hand primer the way to go and if so will the lee shell holders still fit the new one or do I need new shell holders

PS I load .308 and 25-06 and may be going to .22 cf later

Tony

I need a little help please - I was reloading .308 last night on my Lee kit when the primers (large) stopped going in the case smoothly, then stopped completely. I checked the tool seating but cannot see any problem but the primer will not sit properly - it sticks out about 1mm and will not go into the cartridge. Questions

3. is an independent hand primer the way to go and if so will the lee shell holders still fit the new one or do I need new shell holders

Tony

Tony I cant remember having ever used the primer seating tools on any press. IMHO they are far to coarse for any consistency. Variations as little as .001 in seating depth can give velocity variations and variation is as we all know a killer in the pursuit of repeatable accuracy.

Pick your budget and buy a quality hand primer. If you want speed, a bench mounted RCBS APS primer is good for volume runs without getting tired. Hand primers are available for any budget. I spent 30 years trying pretty much every priming tool going. I now use nothing but a K&M with a dial gauge. With that I can measure each primer pocket depth in comparison to the individual primer about to be used and then seat to a depth I choose and that depth will be identical to the next individual case and primer.

ATB

Tony

Do you have the large rifle primer seating rod in place? Don't know if that might be the reason but I can't imagine why they won't seat. I used the Lee a lot.~Andrew

Archived