Ultimate Accuracy

What you wouldnt give to access a place like that. The only place I can think of ( and they arent shooters sadly) with that size and length is the warehouse of Walkers steel at -, which was originally the biggest undercover place in Europe, judging from what I see along the M62 these days there are many bigger ones now.

Any takers out there? :D

Redfox

Guest 308Panther

There is a place over by Madison Wi. that is/was or could still be

in use....

If it wasnt...This place would be the cats ass/mutts nuts for this.

as it is over 1 mile in length....and at least 300 yrds wide.

Imagine a 1000 yrd indoor range!!!!

Easy Boys....The ceiling only goes at a max of 50 ft in places

So the only caliber that could be fired in there at the 1,000 yrd line

without putting holes in the roof would be a .338 Lap Mag.

I think I just heard a bunch of zippers blow from all the woodies

you just got.

308Panther

I read this article a few years ago and the statement that "a barrel MUST be 21 3/4” long for optimum accuracy" was something that stuck with me. Like all of this ju-ju science that clings to shooting I didn't really believe it but when I came to look for a new field rifle I wanted a barrel around that sort of length so, hell, why not make it exactly that length. What's to lose?

But what calibre? Well, the 100 yard benchrest record is still .009" set by a 222 Remington. So, my new rifle was going to be a 222 with a 21 3/4" barrel. Hoo boy, was this gun going to shoot?

So, after selecting a donor gun, a very nice Sako Vixen, I had my gunsmith put a Pac Nor Supermatch barrel on it, in the magic length, chamber it to min SAAMI specs, pillar bed it into a McMillan stock, put my Nightforce on it, ignored the increasingly urgent letters from my bank manager and set out to shoot some of my perfectly formed handloads.

It was rubbish. The groups I get out of it are no better than my wife's bog standard Steyr 223.

I'm gutted. If I ever get to Houston I'm going to burn down the warehouse.

Cornishman.

I would be looking at the putting together as the parts you list should have given you a tack driver irrespective of barrel length. As in every field there are plenty of tradesmen but only a handful of really talented individuals that consistenly hit the top mark. I would bet that letting one of the noted rifle smiths check it over would point you in the right direction, if you still have it.

Archived