Tapered base for my Sako 75 action 1

tackb

You guys got any ideas where I can get a tapered base for my 223 Sako 75 ?

Shot at a thousand metres last Saturday and managed a 3 shot 12" group by using holdover once I run out of elevation and I'd like to test further just for the hell of it !

You guys got any ideas where I can get a tapered base for my 223 Sako 75 ?

Shot at a thousand metres last Saturday and managed a 3 shot 12" group by using holdover once I run out of elevation and I'd like to test further just for the hell of it !

Very difficult, you may have to get one made.

[supplier name deleted - causes controversy whenever named on UK forums] make a rail that will fit the action 1 but it is 0MOA, they also make 20MOA Sako rails but they don't fit the action 1. EDIT I didn't delete the company name, the forum software did it, but think a small UK deer and a famous part of Yorkshire. :)

Third Eye make a set of bases for Sako but again not tapered, but they do say they will make one offs at increased cost. The slots in bases also don't line up with some one piece mounts due to the action being very short.

Near Manufacturing in Canada used to make one, they still do a 20MOA one for an action 3 that will apparently fit but only by drilling and tapping the receiver.

Let us know how you get on as I wouldn't mind one either!!

If you are using optilock bases and rings(with plastic olive) you could do as I did and make a shim to go between the base and the ring on the rear mount. if I remember correctly around 45thou will give 40moa. works a treat and costs next to nothing if you diy.

If you are using optilock bases and rings(with plastic olive) you could do as I did and make a shim to go between the base and the ring on the rear mount. if I remember correctly around 45thou will give 40moa. works a treat and costs next to nothing if you diy.

Thanks, I guessed this is what I'd end up doing ?

I had a similar problem getting my .223 Sako l461 oon target at 1000yds. It's pretty strait forward stuff to get a gunsmith to tap the receiver and machine a piece of blank picatinny rail to whatever angle you fancy. http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/ShowProduct?saleitemid=265080  

I had mine to 25moa.

Having a picatinny rail fitted gets you away from the Optilock system and gives you a much wider selection of more secure mounting options. Optilocks, and especially shimmed Optilocks will only cause you frustration. Believe me, I've been there!!!

Rup

Instead of using shims you can also grind some material from the front Optilock base, a gunsmith up north used to advertise to do this, may have been -, can't remember for sure.

Get any good engeneering work to mill off about 1mm off the front mount. This will drop the front ring down and get you those extra MOA. The ring inserts will stop any crimping on the scope tube.

I also took out the arrester pin, retapped it 5mm, to get the rear mount centered on the dovetail. With the arrester pin in place the mount will be off to the right when tightened up, makes the scope reticle go left.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

ScopeShimTable.jpg

Archived