284Win freebore query

Guest richness

Guest richness

Guys I'm looking to spec a 284Win reamer correctly before I order it from PTG in the States.

It will be a long action, single shot rifle ( a very exciting build on a new UK action - details forthcoming)

I would favour 162amax. If not, 160 accubonds...that sort of thing, for long range varminting. I want to seat them nice and long so that I'm not messing around with half the head stuffed back into the powder, as many people seem to have to do to get the thing to fit short action and/or magazines.

So...what freebore do I spec if I want 162amax to be seated to a COL that has the ogive touching the lands whilst the base of the bullet head isn't too far down into the case? Ie the base of the bearing surface, where it becomes the boat tail is perhaps a mm above the beginning of the neck. Then only the boat tail is in the powder.

What i'm getting at is that I want the thing optimized for 160gr heads so I get max powder capacity. Yet it don't want it throated really long for 180gr heads and then not be able to reach the lands with the shorter 160gr range bullets....I feel I'm in between the target boys' reamer prints and the old-fashioned "get it to fit a short action" prints.

Obviously I could send a dummy round to PCG but I don't want to add more weeks to an already slow process....

Any help from the clever gunsmithy types on here would be very much appreciated :)

Cheers, Richard Utting

either send a dummy round to ptg what you want ,or buy the reamer with no freeboar and have your gunsmith throat it for your dummy round ,if your doing it your self buy the throater when you get the reamer ,or ask dave kiff to build the reamer to shoot the 160 bullets he is pretty helpfull just phone him

As Grant says, there probably isnt a permutation that Dave hasnt made a reamer for.

My own 284 reamer is something like .260" free bore (from memory), for 180 VLD (this is a Shehane by the way)

Speak to Dave Kiff or Ashley (his daughter), spec a reamer throated for 160's or as Grant suggests with no free bore, then have your smith throat it to suit your requirements.

Basically, you want the base of the bullet seated at the union of the neck / shoulder to maximise case capacity.

As Grant says, there probably isnt a permutation that Dave hasnt made a reamer for.

My own 284 reamer is something like .260" free bore (from memory), for 180 VLD (this is a Shehane by the way)

Speak to Dave Kiff or Ashley (his daughter), spec a reamer throated for 160's or as Grant suggests with no free bore, then have your smith throat it to suit your requirements.

Basically, you want the base of the bullet seated at the union of the neck / shoulder to maximise case capacity.

isnt it best to have a reamer specced form a dummy round with no free bore so it can be run right up to the lands ???

You would not need to make a dummy round to have a tool maker machine a reamer with no free bore.

Essentially mking a dummy round, give the toolmaker the spec of the leade required to get the seated bullet (in the dummy) in exactly the same place in the chamber as the dummies dimensions.

Guest richness

Just a thought, looking at the pictures it seems to me that the ogive on the 162gr Amax and 180 Bergers are quite similar heights above the base (despite the difference in the length of the bullet as a whole) so if I make the chamber for the 160s the 180s Bergers won't be too compromised at all.

So I think I'm simply going to say to them that I want it throated for the 160s and leave it to them; as you say they're not exactly short of experience. I reckon it'll be about .200 they go for

Thanks for any comments, Richard Utting

Archived