Reloading for beginners

wheelybins

Hi all, I am planning to start reloading to save some pennies. I am currently using Norma 58gr in .243 and am very happy with their performance. I know that the bullets are Hornady V-MAX and I have got all my once fired brass stashed away. Can anyone reccomend a powder and primer setup that will give me similar results?

Thanks

Graham

Hi all, I am planning to start reloading to save some pennies. I am currently using Norma 58gr in .243 and am very happy with their performance. I know that the bullets are Hornady V-MAX and I have got all my once fired brass stashed away. Can anyone reccomend a powder and primer setup that will give me similar results?

Thanks

Graham

Hi Graham, Ive just loaded a batch of 200 58grners for a good friend. They consisted of once fired brass (Remington 75grn accutip) neck sized, trimmed to length, all the usual brass prep, rem primers, 42grn varget, col=2.640". Very flat shooting and destructive for foxing. This load suits his rifle so as always be careful, start low and work up to what suits your rifle could go faster than this but they group great so don't really see the point in burning anymore powder! Hope this is of some help Simon.

47-49 grains of h414 using federal 210 m primers

please work up all suggested loads as they may not be safe in your particular gun

where abouts in the county are you?

47-49 grains of h414 using federal 210 m primers

please work up all suggested loads as they may not be safe in your particular gun

where abouts in the county are you?

Hi, thanks for the info. I am in the Fakenham area.

Graham

Hi, thanks for the info. I am in the Fakenham area.

Graham

im not to far away from you, enjoy the forum

if you have a question or query , give the forum a shout

Thanks

Graham

I load 58 V max for a mate,he used to use Varget but suffered a carbon build up in the throat as did I when I used it,changed him to Vit 140 at 44gr and its shoots a treat and cleans a treat as well with no carbon build up

I load 58 V max for a mate,he used to use Varget but suffered a carbon build up in the throat as did I when I used it,changed him to Vit 140 at 44gr and its shoots a treat and cleans a treat as well with no carbon build up

Lovely job, I'll have a bash at that.

Graham

• 1 month later...

hya pal, ive always wonderd about what a 58 grain vmax would be like in a 243, are they as flat shooting as a 22.250 with say a 50 grain bullet,i use 58 grain vmax in my 6ppc they are very accurate and make it a lot better to shoot long range with out as much drop.

• 1 month later...

I use 41.5gr N140 with 58 moly coated vmax but just 40.5 for the uncoated. See here for data http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/5/50 this shows 43.2 as max for the vmax just remember what is safe in one gun may not be in yours. Having the breach fail on a rifle (not reloads mil-surp) the best advice I can give is load SAFE. As for saving pennies good luck with that what I save over factory cost is out weighed with the fact I shoot more than i did factory rounds, load testing say 25 to 30 checking against ballistic charts 3 rounds for each distance so maybe another 20 some more for on and of the bipod from sticks etc. And thats before I even think of firing at a fox. But what the hell I'd only be bored down the pub

Archived