new rifle 6.5 x 47 lapua -

Offroad Gary

Just thought Id post a couple of pics of my new tool Ill try to get some better ones when cosmetic work is done after load development. Specified and selected to hold best accuracy for multiple shots on deer to the full range of the TDS reticle. Load development starts this weekend. Number 1 son says it feels like a shooter!!

Sako 75 action 3

Mcmillan sako 75 stock pillar bedded (soon to be duracoat sako green)

LW super match grade super magnum sporter profile, finished in the raw invisible thread cap recessed target crown 24 long (ish depending on where you measure it from)

Third eye Spartan mod

Swarovski pvi2 6-24x50 tds4i

post-5519-0-03188400-1328284046_thumb.jpg

post-5519-0-06750400-1328284078_thumb.jpg

rifle was built by Ronin (andy), who also helped me get the spec right.

couple of pics of its first outing yesterday morning here.

pleasure to shoot and andy was a pleasure to deal with, some rifle builder go the extra mile, andy goes a little bit further.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/35721-new-rifle-6.5-x-47-lapua-long-range-fallow-basher?p=320810#post320810

• 2 months later...

rifle is now back, duracoat has been done (nice job JC!), and my ammo which i had made has been knocked back to 10 thou off (thanks baldie dave valkyrie for the comparator modified case thing), all i can say is, it shoots, i will now start some proper load development<br>

<br>

<br>

the rifle<br>

<br>

WestBerkshire-20120406-00116.jpg

<br>

5 shot group, 120gn ballistic tips<br>

<br>

WestBerkshire-20120406-00118.jpg

<br>

3 shot group, 123gn amax (sorry - bottled it - couldnt ruin that one with another 2 shots so i capped a couple of rooks on the way home)<br>

WestBerkshire-20120406-00117.jpg

Looks like a keeper!!!

What load are you using???

Darrel

Those groups were shot with bullets I had made up after my initial load testing, 36.7 gn of varget and cci benchrest primer, not magnum (I bought the wrong ones, wanted magnums), original rounds were set .027 into lands due to lack of comparator, I’ve since knocked them back to .010 off for the A-max which is about .023 off for the b tips from memory. Still using new un prepped brass and powder was thrown in from a redding thrower in the back of a navara, individual rounds were not checked. At their original length, the velocity was 2779 fps with es 12, sd 3 for a 5 shot group. I’m going to try 38gn varget and play with length now I have some neck sized brass and rifle had done about 75 rounds and is cleaning up nicely. Also have h4350 to try with magnum primers, was thinking of starting at 38gn and playing with the length – what you think?? Liking the rifle and calibre very much, just got it back from duracoat and been playing with the tds reticle, 350y rabbits are 100% hit rate so far off the wing mirror – thinking of a clicky scope for varminting and long range goings, not sure the tds ret has enough accuracy for small stuff due to the guesswork required between the range bars out past 400y– makes a bloody good culling rifle (what it was built for) on the downland fallow though!!

I am using 38.3g of varget with jlk 130g bullets just kissing the lands,,,

this is my best load sofar??,

I have had mine for a couple of years now and have tried most of the powder load combo,s going,,,

41.8 of h4350 was good but the velocity was not there, ,,

reloader 15 was very good at 38.3 but not as good as varget,,,

my loads are runnig at 2914fps

foxing load is 38.6 of varget or re15 with a 95g ballistic tip fps is 3150(awesome)

I use cci450m primers other wise mine will not shoot small groups,,,,

6.5x47 rifles just want to shoot ;) ;)

Darrel -_-

Those groups were shot with bullets I had made up after my initial load testing, 36.7 gn of varget and cci benchrest primer, not magnum (I bought the wrong ones, wanted magnums), original rounds were set .027 into lands due to lack of comparator, I’ve since knocked them back to .010 off for the A-max which is about .023 off for the b tips from memory. Still using new un prepped brass and powder was thrown in from a redding thrower in the back of a navara, individual rounds were not checked. At their original length, the velocity was 2779 fps with es 12, sd 3 for a 5 shot group. I’m going to try 38gn varget and play with length now I have some neck sized brass and rifle had done about 75 rounds and is cleaning up nicely. Also have h4350 to try with magnum primers, was thinking of starting at 38gn and playing with the length – what you think?? Liking the rifle and calibre very much, just got it back from duracoat and been playing with the tds reticle, 350y rabbits are 100% hit rate so far off the wing mirror – thinking of a clicky scope for varminting and long range goings, not sure the tds ret has enough accuracy for small stuff due to the guesswork required between the range bars out past 400y– makes a bloody good culling rifle (what it was built for) on the downland fallow though!!

Have a look at this,,, Darrel

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/02/evans-sets-uk-benchrest-records-with-accuracy-intl-tactical-rifle/

What twist ?

Archived