renewals

tackb

is it just me or is our fac/sgc renewal system unnessacerily complex with far too much repetitive input of data that they (the police already have) ?

Hi,

In a word YES! Not content with the official Home Office form, some forces produce their own supplementary paperwork. I've been assisting one of our club members fill in extra paperwork from the Met. They appear to want to know everything bar inside leg measurement, what makes it such a waste of time is that the required information is already on file and in the system. This is the same force that has just returned a member's FAC with a variation for a .308 rifle and a 6.5mm moderator to go on it! Perhaps the plod want the rifle to be REALLY quiet and prevent the bullet escaping. Every week I hear instances of time wasting procedures, duplicated efforts and mistakes on licences that have to be returned for correction. They then wonder why members of the shooting community get irate when licensing staff take months to deal with straight forward issues and claim 'lack of time and resources',

Alan

Glos Constab as an organisation have always been pretty good to me but the whole sorry variation process is , in itself, a 'pain'.

I actually would have no problem with registering a gun that I bought in order to show that it is legally held and to allow some sort of tracking of firearms BUT my thinking is that , once the Police have satisfied themselves that I am a 'fit person' to own a gun (FAC grant) then why maintain such a massive bureacracy around each and every disposal / aquisition (IE the variation process) ...it creates huge quantities of paperwork and means that the FAC holder can't buy anything to shoot for an extended period whilst the Police have his FAC.

In addition I find it amusing beyond belief that Mods are treated in the same way as firearms!

Hi again,

I've just had a customer in to pick up a rifle, it took him 6 months to get a variation from Staffordshire Police. Apparently there are only 3 staff in the entire department. With a few notable exceptions it appears that the licensing system in many areas is slowly grinding to a halt due to needless procedures and 'gold-plating' of rules and regulations,

Alan

Archived