any one shooting a .300 win mag out to 1000 yards

hellraiser

Hi is there anyone here shooting a 300 win mag for target shooting looking for advice on barrel length rate of twist need to reach 1000 yards and the amount of moa in pictinny rail and mounts any help welcome no other caliber info needed just 300 win mag thanks im looking at a remington 700 police with a 26 inch barrel with 1-10 twist

Olaf Jones shoots a 300WM and makes the GB team in the F Class league most of the time , If you want to compete you will need a 30inch barrel, but if you just want to shoot a 1000yrds on fun range days you will be fine with a 26 inch tube.

I think Olaf uses Vit 165 and 210 heads at about 3ooo fps .

11 twist seems to ring a cord for twist rate by memory.

I have a remington sendero in the same spec/calibre. I have shot it out past 1200 uards with no real problem. Im using a-max, 208gr with H1000. Off the top of my head it needs about 26 moa wound on from 100 yard zero to get to 1000yards. 300 is easy to get out to 1000, something in the 190-210gr works great but if i get bored, i might play with the heavier new berger hybrids.

I started out with a std rem700 sendero with fluted barrel bedded into a Choate 'Ultimate Sniper' stock and fitted with a Holand brake which was fine out to 800 using N160 and 210gr Berger VLDs at approx 2850fps but couldnt cut it at 1000 against my friends semi custom rem700 shooting the same load, and at 1200 wasnt worth the ammo used.

I have now fitted a new Basix trigger and a pacnor barrel (cant remember the twist off hand)which is far superior to old factory barrel and things have improved exponentially. I have a load of the new 208gr AMax to try as Bergers are now stupidly expensive at roughly £54/100 compared to the £38 for AMax.

olaf is a thoroughly nice chap. Havent seen him for a while though. He just goes to prove that a disability doesnt stop you shooting!

A 20MOA rail should give you enough elevation providing you have a decent scope to begin with.

From a 100m zero I am using 26clicks for 600yards (HME zero), 53 clicks to 800yards, 86 clicks to 1000yards and 130 to 1200

MArk

A 26" 700P using the right load will get you out a long way. A 20 MOA rail will be fine for 1000 yards, if you go with a 30MOA rail you may need a scope with a larger range of adjustment, say 100 MOA to get your 100 yard zero but this will give you more clicks of elevation for ELR.

Hornady 208 A-max's are worth a go, I'm pushing them about 2850fps with 73 grains of N165 (over max, please work up to this) with a 24" barrel.

With a NXS scope and 20 min rail you will find the round will go sub sonic before you run out of elevation

you should be able to achieve 1200 to 1400 yds

My HS heavy tactical with 1-10 twist with 26" barrel, 200 grain matchking with N165 powder 215 federal match primer running about 2900fps does 1000yds with no probs

Ian

I have a 300WM built on a Badger action , its got a 27.5 inche heavy fluted barrel , 1-10 twist , 5R , and its long throated for the 208gr amax seated out .

I use ADI 2217 ( which is H1000 ) , and I'm getting 2880 fps , with 77.5 gr charge .

I would reccomend a 1-10 twist if you want to shoot the heavies .

Thanks chrisf just wondering as anyone else got a different rate of twist to shoot lighter bullets the rifle im looking at has a 1-10 twist also is 26 " barrel the normal lenght to start with has anyone got a 24 " barrel what rounds suit it best thanks

Thanks chrisf just wondering as anyone else got a different rate of twist to shoot lighter bullets the rifle im looking at has a 1-10 twist also is 26 " barrel the normal lenght to start with has anyone got a 24 " barrel what rounds suit it best thanks

The length of the barrel isn't really going to effect which bullets you can use, it will have a bearing on the powder that can be fully utilised in the given length. As I posted above mines 24" and shooting the 208 Amax, these will stay supersonic to 1500 yards or so. Some guys have cut down the barrel to 21 / 22" and still getting great results at extended range.

1/10 twist will allow you to use the full range of .30 cal bullets available, all the way up to the 220's, I can't really see the benefit of a slower twist for the lighter bullets? The .300WM is designed as a long range performer using the heavier bullets, its also going to give a short barrel life whatever you feed it.

The length of the barrel isn't really going to effect which bullets you can use, it will have a bearing on the powder that can be fully utilised in the given length. As I posted above mines 24" and shooting the 208 Amax, these will stay supersonic to 1500 yards or so. Some guys have cut down the barrel to 21 / 22" and still getting great results at extended range.

1/10 twist will allow you to use the full range of .30 cal bullets available, all the way up to the 220's, I can't really see the benefit of a slower twist for the lighter bullets? The .300WM is designed as a long range performer using the heavier bullets, its also going to give a short barrel life whatever you feed it.

thanks for that im just looking for the best info it when you say short barrel life what are we talking in a rough round count

Archived