Shooting of the sticks

tikka 223

Ok some do and some don't shoot of the sticks i do and can .

Went out last night with me brother ,warm slight breeze and cloud covered sky .

Entered the first field nothing not even a rabbit? thought charlie,s been about so carrys on two the second field . On reaching the gate to the second field puts lamp on there a fox about 40 yrds away ,lamp off cocks rifle on the sticks . Lamp back on its 100 yrds plus and no sign of stopping , goes over a bank and disapears. Gets over the gate and starts calling nothing after 5 mins walks towards where it went, lamp on its sitting looking at us 136 yrds away on the sticks . Boom = thud

no 1 in the bag, dog fox

fox1.jpg

Moves on a few fields to see another about 300 hundred yrds away .Starts calling and its comming in steady, on the sticks stops at 148 yrds feeling steady takes the shot .

Boom= crack

No 2 dog fox again

fox2.jpg

moves on round the field and another is spotted walking towards us. Back on the sticks but keeps the lamp on this time as its not to worried about the lamp stops for a pee at 178 yards .

Boom= thud

no 3 vixen this time

fox3.jpg

Carrys on for a few fields and theres 3 pairs of eyes looking at us Starts calling and ones running full pelt . on the sticks again leaving lamp on comes to 129 yrds and goes broad side .

Boom= thud vixen again

fox4.jpg

A good night and still a few about will leave this farm for a bit now as ive thinned a few out .

Very nice work there buddy, good shooting too!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the best..................

RAY.............................. :lol: :lol:

Very good shooting especialy off sticks ,there as been many time when i could have done with shooting of them ,just dont have the confidence ,i know i should get out and practice but to be truithfull i just never get round to it

• 3 weeks later...

191 Yards off of the sticks is good going, the furthest I have taken anything off of the sticks is a rabbit at 105m with the .17HMR. I had a chance at a deer ay 80m today from the sticks. I passed up the opertunity to get a bit closer and take it off of the bipod but by the time I was in place the deer winded me and scarperd. you win some and loose some I guess.

Dave

Up to now I have only used a single shooting stick, it is best used when I can rest it against something like a wall or a tree at the same time as taking the shot.

I have followed the thread and would like to try one of the sticks that you mention.

The ground I cover is quite rough and I will be moving around at night.

Are they easy and quiet to open out when you need to use them, are they "fiddly" in the dark?

Are they solid enough to use as a rest when moving over rough or uneven terrain?

Thanks for any advice

Archived