Sako or Remington Varmint profile

Toby

Hi, I am getting my 222 Rem rebarreled to a 17 Rem and am wondering what profile I should have the barrel finished. Of the two above mentioned profiles which is heaviest/thicker? I know that Sako Varmint barrels are 24" and Rem 26". I have decided on 24" for the length but am thinking of a muzzle diameter of 18-20mm for the new tube. My old sporter barrel on the 222 is 15.5mm at the muzzle and I want to go thicker than that.My stock is profiled for a Sako varmint profile so there should be no issues there. Any words of advice or lessons others have learnt?

The rifle is just a short carry rifle, no extreme back packing.

ATB Toby

as a carry gun with little recoil. I wouldn't want to have a heavy barrel on it or have it to long.

22 inches is about the normal barrel length in 17 rem. this will keep it compact but still give you superb velocity from it.

if you do get a heavy barrel maybe have it fluted to save a bit of weight ? don't forget the pictures when you get it done. ;)

and make sure its a 1 in 9 twist so you can shoot the 25 vmax B)

look at liljas web site they do a lot of factory profiles/close replicas and i think they are the best small calibre bbl going.you dont need a drain pipe for a bbl but neither a pencil .

Archived